Gun Engraver (Weetabix, Know Him?)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Darrell

Gun Engraver (Weetabix, Know Him?)

Post by Darrell »

Interesting article from Weetabix's hometown paper:
Jim Downing prefers to call himself a craftsman, not an artist.

But his intricately hand-carved renderings on Colts, Rugers, Winchesters and other fine guns have earned him clients from across the globe — from Europe all the way to Australia.

Especially in the world of cowboy action shooting, mention Springfield, Missouri, and many participants in the Western-themed sport will instantly know the name: Jim Downing, Gun Engraver.

It's been an unusual path to his workbench at Cherokee Firearms in Springfield, where Downing typically engraves one to two guns a week, all by hand.
Dude's sure got the moustache for it. You can read the rest, and see pics, here:

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/2 ... 467759001/

One of my sisters sent me this. We were born and raised in Springfield.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Re: Gun Engraver (Weetabix, Know Him?)

Post by Weetabix »

Haven't met him, though I've been in there a lot. Maybe he hangs out in back?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

He's listed as one of the shop's employees, Jim, aka Scratch. Here's their website:

http://www.cherokeefirearms.com/

Corner of College and Kansas! I grew up on that side of town, went to Central HS.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I forgot they just moved. I haven't been to the new store yet. There used to be a mill-looking thing there. It's where the tracks and odd intersections converge on Kansas.

They now have an indoor range and gun rental. I really need to get by the new place.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'll have to check that place out the next time I visit. I want to check their reloading supplies.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Drop me a line when you're in town. I'll buy you lunch.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Interesting follow up and an odd chain of events.

A guy I work with has a wife who grows specialty peppers. They went to dinner at a local Thai place and got to talking to the owner. He wanted to come see the pepper patch and was impressed after he saw it. He invited them to dinner at his house.

... and Jim Downing, the engraver, was there. He said he travels whenever he wants. Customers will wait for him. But sometimes he takes the work with him. What a life.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I can appreciate the skill, but I guess I am the only one who finds all of the engraving on a firearm just plain ugly.
randy

Post by randy »

Vonz90 wrote:I can appreciate the skill, but I guess I am the only one who finds all of the engraving on a firearm just plain ugly.
I don't know about ugly, but it is essentially a "less is more" thing for me.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

The guy does engraving on cowboy action guns. I daresay those who want it consider it another bit of dressing for the part.
Eppur si muove--Galileo