NRA Disallows 1911s As Approved Carry Guns.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Re: NRA Disallows 1911s As Approved Carry Guns.

Post by Weetabix »

Bad photo choice. They should have had one with him on target and ready to fire. He could explain his disability in class and command the students not to do what they see him doing.

Now, it could be that tacticool wannabes who don't take the class or read the follow up will think, "Serious operator does it, so I must do it, too."
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

From an actuarial standpoint, I can't see this as anything but a HUGE moneymaker for the NRA, since the number of prosecutions following righteous shootings appears to be on the decline. Especially given the proliferation of shall-issue laws in many states over the past couple of decades. Prosecutors are not so keen to charge the kind of upstanding citizens who would have a CCW AND this insurance, but that's just the view from my foxhole. The break-even numbers for this are very low given the number of members the NRA has.

The BEST insurance is taking the oft-repeated advice to STFU and demand your lawyer.

ETA: Looking at the Carry Guard website... $850 for their 3-day course? Based on what else is out there.. no thanks.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

g-man wrote: Is it a capacity thing? If so, why not allow a double-stack 1911? Gun isn't 'safe' enough?
It might be a capacity thing. As for safety...show up with a BHP and see how they react.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I suspect the issue came about due to the personal prejudices of the curriculum director, James Jarrett, and had no basis in fact regarding carry capacity or being a semi-auto. I confirmed they have altered their stance by checking enrollment in their course and here's the info from their (the NRA's) website:
*NOTE ON FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION: You will need one handgun with a 6-round or greater carrying capacity (revolver or semi-auto) that you are comfortable firing 1,500 rounds through over the course of 3 days. This will be your “primary” handgun throughout the training where the focus is developing the fundamentals.

Though not necessary to take the Carry Guard Level 1 course, if you have a second handgun of any size and type that you carry (or may carry) concealed, please bring that as well.

All students will need to bring 1,500 rounds of new or factory reloaded remanufactured Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) ammunition.

Additionally, if you bring one firearm, bring 40 rounds of the factory defensive carry ammunition of your choice for it.

If you bring two firearms, bring 20 rounds of factory defensive carry ammunition of your choice for each firearm (40 total).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad