Built a side charger AR

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

Built a side charger AR

Post by Candyman »

For some time now I have been wanting to build an AR with a side charger upper receiver. The only problem was finding the one I wanted.
I already have a bunch of ARs and it's not like I need another, but I don't have a side charger or one with an 18" barrel.
First off I wanted one with a Non-Reciprocating charging handle, but didn't want the end of the charging handle to extend past the back of the receiver when charged.
I also wanted a dust cover , forward assist and brass deflector. Not asking for much am I?
Well after some homework and some searching I found four different companies that had what I was looking for. The price ranged from $249 to $299.
http://shop.masdefense.com/MAS-DEFENSE- ... PR-NRM.htm
MAS Defence had the best price. I already had account there and have been very satisfied with everything I've ordered from them.
So I ordered one.

About a month ago Primary Arms had a sale on the Vortex 3-9x 59 Crossfire II with the mount , 18" barrel in 223 Wylde 1/8 HBAR rifle gas system and the Troy Medieval flash hider.

I had a few handrails, but I'm going to go with the 17" rail because I didn't care for for the look of the barrel hanging out of the end of the rail.

I already had a JoeBob Outfitter's Spartan lower sitting around that I got on sale for $100.

The upper and lower matched up pretty good.

I had an AGL A.C.T fire control group and enough lower parts to build the lower but, ordered a set of Strike Industries takedown pins and a black nitride rifle gas tube from Brownell's. My Brownell's order arrived today.
The upper went together very easy.

Here it is all together.

And with the scope mounted.
Last edited by Candyman on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Precision

Re: Built a side charger AR

Post by Precision »

that needs, begs for a can. Almost no blow back on the side loaders, which means no raccoon eyes when your done shooting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Here are some more pics.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Looks like the scope mount interferes with your hand when running the charging handle. Is that going to be a problem?
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:Looks like the scope mount interferes with your hand when running the charging handle. Is that going to be a problem?
The charging handle stops just before the first nut so, it's usable. But then I may look for another mount.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Why not reverse the scope mount and run the nuts on the other side of the upper?
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

That is a slick setup, man. I like it!
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Candyman wrote:
Captain Wheelgun wrote:Looks like the scope mount interferes with your hand when running the charging handle. Is that going to be a problem?
The charging handle stops just before the first nut so, it's usable. But then I may look for another mount.
I really like the Bobro mount I have on my SBR.... The QD lever is very low profile so it should be out of the way on a setup like yours. I saw a picture of one where the recoil lug had sheared when used on an AR-10, but haven't heard of any issues on AR-15 with intermediate cartridges.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

This mount came free with the scope. I'm looking for a different one right now.