School me on AR-10's

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

School me on AR-10's

Post by Weetabix »

A buddy of mine just got a Palmetto PA-10. He hasn't shot it much, but now, he just KNOWS that I need one. ;)

I can't find much in the way of reviews, so I suspect I may be googling badly.

For a general purpose shooter who's not a gunsmith or particularly interested in a research-heavy build, any recommendations for a dependable, reasonably accurate rifle? Haven't thought about a budget, but, say, under $2,000 for sure. Closer to $1,000 would be better.

I know someone here must have an opinion! :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Re: School me on AR-10's

Post by Greg »

About all I know is they just recently updated their design from Mark I to Mark II.

No idea what changed, but you probably don't want Mark I anymore.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm not sold on the PSA guns. Not biased against, either. Just looking for some not so humble opinions. HTRN?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Have you looked at DPMS?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I have one of the first edition PSA AR-10 kits. I had a problem w. the lower receiver. Mags wouldn't slide in far enough for the mag/catch release to retain them. I WECSOGed it w. a Dremel and it now works. I haven't shot it enough to determine reliability. But it's gone through about 200 rounds of 147g FMJ without any problems. I haven't scoped it or shot it past 25 yards yet (yeah, not too many outdoor ranges near me), so no comment on accuracy.

I also have a higher end BRO billet upper/lower AR-10. That one is scoped w. a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 and can easily shot 1 MOA at 100 yards (the longest I have shot it so far) w. Federal Gold Match 168g BTHP ammo. It also shoots PRVI 168g in slightly larger groups. And that could be operator error as I only shot the PRVI during one session.

Keep in mind, DPMS and Armalite platforms have many parts that are not interchangeable. And DPMS uppers can be "High Profile" or "Low Profile" which will affect railed handguard and front sight height. Yeah, AR-10's are much more of a PITA to build than AR-15s. :)
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

AlaskaTRX has a PSA AR-10 that he built from parts. There were some problems but I think he eventually got it all sorted. The PSA rifle is kind of a hybrid design that combines aspects of both AR-10 "standards" so you have to really know what pieces are compatible with it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

HTRN wrote:Have you looked at DPMS?
I've heard a lot of noise saying to avoid DPMS. Not sure if it's legit or just budget rifle snobbery.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Stag introduced one this year, I believe (LH version is on the way).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:Stag introduced one this year, I believe (LH version is on the way).
Dammit! You didn't have to say that! (I really like my LH Stag .223.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Netpackrat wrote:AlaskaTRX has a PSA AR-10 that he built from parts. There were some problems but I think he eventually got it all sorted. The PSA rifle is kind of a hybrid design that combines aspects of both AR-10 "standards" so you have to really know what pieces are compatible with it.
I have a Gen 1 PSA PA-10 upper/lower; I have a KAK barrel and bolt, with a MI foregrip and a bunch of other goodies on it. If I had to do it over again, I would have started with an Aero M5 receiver set. Like my brother alluded to, the PSA design is a mishmash of different AR-10 standards with some AR-15 parts thrown in to ensure confusion.

I purchased a Geissele SSA trigger that I can't use unless I want to grind on it, plus the bolt catch (I had PSA send me others) never was quite right and would not turn freely on the mil-spec roll pin without modification. Most other "AR-10" makers have gone a capture pin/allen head design that is far superior. Otherwise I haven't had any other problems (yet), but I haven't fired it enough to say that it is reliable and works well.