Polymer 80 'glock' frame kits

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

Polymer 80 'glock' frame kits

Post by Rich Jordan »

Midway has this frame kit on sale. It is an 80% poly frame with the needed steel inserts that the rest of the Glock parts attach to, plus a jig and tools (presuming a drill press) to finish. It appears you can actually do most of the work with a dremel tool (drill press still preferred for the through holes though).

I have been thinking about a 9mm carbine. I've got a 1911-based 10mm Mech Tech CCU and love it; I could get a 9mm Glock-based unit and use the clone frame and a glock lower parts kit (seen sales in the ~$50 range) to complete it. I sent a query to Mech Tech asking about compatibility but haven't heard back.

For $59 I'm considering risking it. If I find out it doesn't work prior to finishing it I can still resell it. I believe once you 'finish' them they cannot be sold so then the only option would be to build a glock-a-like I also can't sell, which I don't really want or need.

Has anyone done one of these frames (or other products from Polymer 80)? Thoughts appreciated.
Steamforger

Re: Polymer 80 'glock' frame kits

Post by Steamforger »

Linky

It was apparently thrown out a window during a pursuit and, I suspect, run over by a police car.

I also would expect a Glock to survive that event reasonably well.

ETA- I'm not sure what this gets a purchaser, aside from your MechTec requirement. The sum total of parts cost puts you squarely in used Glock price ranges and far above stuff like $299 police Beretta turn ins, or S&W unissued police turn ins, or other turn ins. I get the whole off the books part, but I think a better option would be a private sale, if possible, that stays private.

For my $$$, I'd find a Gen II or III Glock 19 and go that route.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Thanks for replying. While I don't intend to throw a Mech Tech from a moving car, that does look like the frame is lower quality than a standard Glock. For me the top end of the Glock would be wasted. I really don't enjoy shooting them, but the frame allows use of inexpensive magazines, some with pretty high capacity, and a 9mm carbine is a pretty fun gun. My former room-mate had a Marlin Camp 9 and while I preferred my .45 it was still a joy to shoot. Quite a bit cheaper too.

I guess reselling the slide assembly to recover some cash would be an option. I think we'll give the Polymer 80 a pass.

Rich
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Some reviews

If you don't need the slide ever, it probably isn't a bad plan to go the Polymer80 route. If you did go with a gently used Glock, you'd at least have a whole and functional pistol aside from the Mech Tech Carbine.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Not interested, because Midway.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

https://daytonatactical.com/

a non- Midway location and several kits including the jig.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/