And the prices keep dropping

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: And the prices keep dropping

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

PSA? Never again after the last hack job they did on a CHF barrel for me, thank you very much.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Steamforger wrote:PSA? Never again after the last hack job they did on a CHF barrel for me, thank you very much.
Did they ever make it right for you?

I handle a lot of guns and have seen the good and the bad from just about everyone. Like the two Colt ARs my buddy had to return to Colt. He ordered four Colt carbines to put out on the rack in his shop. He discovered that two of them had the front sight tower installed canted.
I just test fired two ARs. One was a Daniel Defense DDM4V4. Nice rifle in great shape, but I couldn't tell you what you were getting for the extra money.
The other was a standard Bushmaster AR carbine, XM15-E2S. Now this rifle was found property. It was found under a house. I don't know how long it had been there, but the barrel was covered with rust and the other steel parts on the outside had rust too. The inside of the gun was filthy, like someone had fired a few hundred rounds and not cleaned it. The bore had trash and spider webs in it. All I did was punch the bore with a nylon brush and a patch. It fired and functioned without any trouble.

I find that people are amazed when they find out that most companies that build ARs don't make the parts that they use.
And the price of parts? A friend that owns a local shop has been stocking AR parts for about a year now. He is buying barrels from a known barrel manufacture from $45 to $60 and is able to sell them for $100. He sells handrails. keymod and Mlok for $75. If he buys them in lots of 40 or more at a time, his cost is $35 a rail.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Candyman wrote:
Steamforger wrote:PSA? Never again after the last hack job they did on a CHF barrel for me, thank you very much.
After 5 or 6 weeks of no comms I finally got an email saying they would be happy to replace the barrel, but they needed the entire upper, not just the barrel and the A frame. I would need to ship it back on their label, they would inspect and replace, and ship back to me.

Seeing as how I had discovered the damage in the process of taking the upper apart for coating, and had replaced the barrel anyway, I found it easier to just give them a C- for effort and write them off. A friend of a friend deal fell through and I ended up getting an Odin Works 18" 3-gun profile barrel for it (almost finished with this build.)

The CHF barrel is at least functional, if ugly. I don't have it on anything and doubt I'll put it on anything anytime soon. They probably could have made it right if I had enough foresight to realize they were incredibly backlogged and took their time getting in touch, but I think shipping both ways would have been a gamble considering their previous shipping habits in my dealings with them. There was also the concern that pulling apart the upper would have voided any warranty anyway.

The CHF is in the spares bin and will probably stay there until I realize I have enough parts laying around to build a beater 20" AR. I should be building my own uppers anyway.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Steamforger wrote:
Candyman wrote:
After 5 or 6 weeks of no comms I finally got an email saying they would be happy to replace the barrel, but they needed the entire upper, not just the barrel and the A frame. I would need to ship it back on their label, they would inspect and replace, and ship back to me.

Seeing as how I had discovered the damage in the process of taking the upper apart for coating, and had replaced the barrel anyway, I found it easier to just give them a C- for effort and write them off. A friend of a friend deal fell through and I ended up getting an Odin Works 18" 3-gun profile barrel for it (almost finished with this build.)

The CHF barrel is at least functional, if ugly. I don't have it on anything and doubt I'll put it on anything anytime soon. They probably could have made it right if I had enough foresight to realize they were incredibly backlogged and took their time getting in touch, but I think shipping both ways would have been a gamble considering their previous shipping habits in my dealings with them. There was also the concern that pulling apart the upper would have voided any warranty anyway.

The CHF is in the spares bin and will probably stay there until I realize I have enough parts laying around to build a beater 20" AR. I should be building my own uppers anyway.
FN USA makes their CHF barrels. I guess even the best companies fuck up. I've had decent luck w. PSA. My only bad experience was with one of their AR-10 lowers. I had to hit it with the Dremel a bit. They did offer to replace it, but it was for a lower cost build and I didn't want to go through the hassle.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Well, the lower came in last week and I finally got a chance to pick it up today. It took me so long because, I've been working straight 12s due to the DOJs verdict in the Alton Sterling shooting last week, and the possibility of riots here in Baton Rouge.
I didn't have to pay a transfer fee, which saved me $20, but I did have to pick up a rear sight. On the way home I picked up a carry handle for $20 from a local shop. I also used one of the PSA mags that I got a while back for $6.40, it pays to buy in bulk.
So total cost for the rifle is $426.38.
IMG_0381.JPG
If things keep up like this, in a few months you could build one cheaper.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.