And the prices keep dropping

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

And the prices keep dropping

Post by Candyman »

Got an email from Palmetto State Armory today around lunch time on their daily deal.
I could help myself and placed an order for an upper and lower.
IMG_0024.PNG
IMG_0025.PNG
$269.99 for the upper and $129.99 for the lower. And free shipping on both.
The prices keep getting better every day.
Now the question is, What am I going to do with it? It's not like I don't have enough ARs sitting around the house.
I guess I'll have to give it away.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
rightisright

Re: And the prices keep dropping

Post by rightisright »

I have two of their stainless "Freedom" line uppers. Great shooters for how little they cost.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Someday I'm moving to America where I can have nice things....
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

MarkD wrote:Someday I'm moving to America where I can have nice things....

I'll be out of NJ as soon as financially possible. But that hasn't stopped me from enjoying the AR platform. Yeah, I can't fold my stock because it makes the gun much more dangerous. Yeah, I can't add a bayonet because it's the number 2 way gang bangers kill their enemies. But I can still have fun killing paper with my ARs. Plus, all the neutering can be reversed when I leave (cutting off the welded compensators may be a bit of a PITA, but it can be done).

If you want an NJ compliant (spit) model, Gun For Hire is pretty close to you (I think). From what I hear, they do decent AR 15 build classes.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I don't get why AKs have become so expensive, compared to ARs. I've seen it argued that modern CNC has helped lower the prices on ARs, vs. more traditional stamping and machining of AKS, not sure I see it, though.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Darrell wrote:I don't get why AKs have become so expensive, compared to ARs. I've seen it argued that modern CNC has helped lower the prices on ARs, vs. more traditional stamping and machining of AKS, not sure I see it, though.
Different economies of scale. CNC lowered small run prices and saved having to make dedicated fixtures and tooling. Stampings require a dedicated die set, and the presses arent terribly cheaper than a cnc station. So if you were making 100k AKs per year so you were running your die sets constantly on dedicated presses, then yeah gets pretty cheap. If you piggyback production from china or russia who do same thing, but if you want to make a thousand a year you'll have trouble covering your tooling costs. On the gripping hand though, AR rifles really are the best platform, and we get them so cheaply :mrgreen:
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

The used handguns are piling up at the local shops with prices inching down more each month. I'm holding out until summer to see how much lower that can get.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Darrell wrote:I don't get why AKs have become so expensive, compared to ARs. I've seen it argued that modern CNC has helped lower the prices on ARs, vs. more traditional stamping and machining of AKS, not sure I see it, though.
I think its the end of the cold war surplus and the ATF's war on imported kits, especially with the barrel ban. Most of the circa $300 AKs being sold 10 years ago were not really new guns, but remanufactured ones. There is nothing wrong with that of course, I owned one, liked it allot, and should not have sold it. The AKs sold today contain a much higher percentage of new parts, with many AKs on the market being made of entirely new parts.

Meanwhile the AR market has rapidly expanded, and competition between all the new manufacturers has resulted in lower prices. Some of this price cutting is the result of cutting corners and some is the result of improving manufacturing methods.
Precision

Post by Precision »

rightisright wrote:

I'll be out of NJ as soon as financially possible. But that hasn't stopped me from enjoying the AR platform. Yeah, I can't fold my stock because it makes the gun much more dangerous. Yeah, I can't add a bayonet because it's the number 2 way gang bangers kill their enemies. But I can still have fun killing paper with my ARs. Plus, all the neutering can be reversed when I leave (cutting off the welded compensators may be a bit of a PITA, but it can be done).

If you want an NJ compliant (spit) model, Gun For Hire is pretty close to you (I think). From what I hear, they do decent AR 15 build classes.

Many if not most "welded" comps are just soldered on. A little heat from a torch and presto...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

rightisright wrote:

Why not just replace the barrel with a new one and go with a rail.
http://www.primaryarms.com/B556CM41618-P
https://www.deltateamtactical.com/AR-15 ... _4876.html
https://www.deltateamtactical.com/David ... _5207.html

Or you could go carbine with front sight tower.
http://www.jsesurplus.com/Del-Ton16M4Ba ... adium.aspx

But if you want to go carbine but still be able to mount a bayonet for Zombies then you will need to go with a midlenght gas system.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-14-7 ... 44648.html

I bet that in a few months the price of barrels with sight towers will be dropping.

The area where you are really going to save money is by building your own rifle. Intro level ARs are cheap but most people replace the stocks which will cost you another $75 to $150.
You can build the rifle of your dreams for under $1000. Out of these rifles all cost me under $1000 other then the one with the Jack lower.
040.JPG
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.