Caliber for Brown Bear? 9mm, of course

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
rightisright

Caliber for Brown Bear? 9mm, of course

Post by rightisright »

So, this recently came across a gun page I belong to on the Faceplant. Apparently, a "very well known" guide in AK killed a charging grizzly boar w. a single stack compact 9mm using Buffalo Bore boolits. https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... mm-pistol/

I commented he was a very UNprofessional guide by carrying a single stack 9mm into bear territory while guiding clients to a fishing spot and that he was very lucky to have killed the bear. A shitstorm erupted and was perpetuated by his sycophantic followers. Apparently, this guide knows grizzlies better than anyone in the world. Welpers, I maintain he was a lucky fucker to get himself and his clients out of there alive.
Netpackrat

Re: Caliber for Brown Bear? 9mm, of course

Post by Netpackrat »

I remember when that first made the news... #$^&#$^&* moron. Plenty of bears have been killed with a lot of small caliber guns over the years; that doesn't make them bear guns. There was a dude here a few years ago who killed one in self defense using a 5.45 AK... It soaked up something like 11 or 13 shots before turning around and running away. Made it about 100 yards mostly under its own power (was going downhill). Another case of a bear that ultimately decided it didn't want to kill any people that day, because it sure had the opportunity.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Bears have been taken with .22, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Jericho941 wrote:Bears have been taken with .22, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Wasn't there a guy who killed a bear with a Swiss army knife? It can be done, but not the way to bet.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I pity the first grizzly bear who dies after being shot with a .380... fired from a Hi-Point.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

25ACP in the roof of the mouth with followup in the eye sockets. Man up, no need to do it the easy way.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Back in the day, it was a thing to hunt bear with swords or spears. Who needs a firearm?
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Vonz90 wrote:Back in the day, it was a thing to hunt bear with swords or spears. Who needs a firearm?
Yeah, but the guys who did it that way did it in groups, with big packs of very large dogs. Not that I'd be up for doing it that way, either, but it does make a little more sense that going solo with a sharp stick.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I posted some years ago about a guy with a .410 being charged by a sow grizzly. He fired the gun at contact distance with the bear's snout, he even had some kind of shot shell IIRC. The bear was DRT.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Jericho941 wrote:Bears have been taken with .22, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
It was a 22long, not even lr to boot wasn't it?
http://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/what-22 ... z4c0Vi3tc6

Here is the hipoint, but it appears it was a 45
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2014/07/ ... nt-pistol/

note neither bear was charging.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop