When is ENOUGH, enough?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman
Loose Cannon

When is ENOUGH, enough?

Postby Candyman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 pm

I like guns. Ever since I was a little boy I liked them. I had all kind of guns for my GI Joe's. Now I have a lot of guns for myself.
Now I really like the AR platform and they are so much fun to build. But when is enough. enough? Here is a pic of the ones I have right now minus my Olympic Arms carbine that my nephew has at his house.

I still have 7 stripped lowers and 3 complete lowers boxed up in my shop for future builds.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.

308Mike

Re: When is ENOUGH, enough?

Postby 308Mike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 pm

I can't answer your question because I'd like to have several of those myself (living in Commiefornia sucks), however, I'm waiting for you to start printing your own parts for the builds before I might think you're getting close to 'enough is enough'. :D :D :D
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 am

Nevah enuf dakka!
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 am

"More than I need, less than I want."
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

JustinR
Trigger Junkie

Postby JustinR » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:27 am

To answer the question, you must answer several others.

1. Does this gun have a specific purpose or role?

2. Is it a spare in case the primary goes down? (Two is one.)

3. If the S really does HTF, can you arm everyone you trust to watch your back that doesn't already have their own?

4. Would I notice if this gun suddenly, and inexplicably, went missing? :lol:
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:31 am

scipioafricanus wrote:"More than I need, less than I want."

Q: Netpackrat has 27 guns. If The Government comes and takes all 27 of Netpackrat's guns, how many guns does Netpackrat have left?

A: Netpackrat has 34 guns left.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 am

Candyman wrote:...when is enough. enough?...I still have 7 stripped lowers and 3 complete lowers boxed up in my shop for future builds.

That obviously means at least 10 more unless arithmetic fails me.

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 am

Splendid. Well wear all of those, and happy shooting, Candyman. Still looking forward to your "build an AR tutorial".

I had absolutely no interest in buying an AR-pattern rifle until I was told I soon may not because guns are evil. Now I am determined to get as many as possible while I still can, and to make sure that as many as possible of my friends and acquaintances will have one too. The first (of hopefully many) is on order already.

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm

I just noticed that I forgot to post a pic. I will correct that as soon as I get home.

Cobar wrote:
Candyman wrote:...when is enough. enough?...I still have 7 stripped lowers and 3 complete lowers boxed up in my shop for future builds.

That obviously means at least 10 more unless arithmetic fails me.

Well, I do have another lower that is waiting on a Tax Stamp to become a SBR. And then there is that black Dissapator that I was going to sell to a friend that is still boxed up in my safe. Oh! I do have a Spike's Hellbreaker lower too. And then there is the Rock River lower that I keep forgetting about. And then there is that PSA complete 9mm lower.
Looks like I need to place another order for parts.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.

Gunnuts
Case Shiner

Postby Gunnuts » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Candyman wrote:I like guns. Ever since I was a little boy I liked them.

That's pretty much how I feel about them, too.

I think the term "enough" is like the term "infinity".

Its a concept to contemplate, but there's really no way to reach it, only ob$tacle$ to its pursuit. :D

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Damn! Got me beat. Nice though ...

I pretty much stopped at 7 A-15s and 1 AR-10. That's enough for me and my family, and possibly a few close friends I'd want to help out in the case of the SHTF. I'm also covered as far as all the calibres I wish to own in the AR platform; 308, 223, 300 Blackout, 458 SOCOM.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Candyman wrote:I like guns.

"I .... like big butts and I can't lie. "

sorry .... the devil made me do it.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Looks like you have a gap in your collection in the 24" barrel range. Let me know if you have any interest in filling it. The pre-94 ARs I look for come with some pretty interesting uppers.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Here is a pic with my kid's guns added. My youngest is 12 and he's has the green Zombie camo.The daughter's is purple. I have to have the rail painted to finish it off. My oldest son painted his rifle himself.
Here are a few more pics.
The one on the end with the OD Green MOE rifle stock is chambered in .277 Wolverine

I don't have a 300 Blackout, Who needs one when you have a Wolverine. :lol:
I don't think I will be building one with a 24" barrel, just to long for any of my needs.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 am

As long as the floor joists aren't failing, you don't have too many. If the foundation is settling unevenly, you might want to rethink that, though.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 am

First Shirt wrote:As long as the floor joists aren't failing, you don't have too many. If the foundation is settling unevenly, you might want to rethink that, though.

If you have this problem due to firearms, you have a bigger issue: This status means you've exceeded your capacity to feed said firearms, since floor joist failure or uneven foundation settling should happen due to ammo long before the weight of the guns themselves become a problem.

Just sayin.

Equation for number of guns which constitute "enough"

Number of Guns = N + 1 where N represents the current number on hand.

Same formula applies for motorcycles.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:43 am

g-man wrote:If you have this problem due to firearms, you have a bigger issue: This status means you've exceeded your capacity to feed said firearms, since floor joist failure or uneven foundation settling should happen due to ammo long before the weight of the guns themselves become a problem.
Just sayin.
Equation for number of guns which constitute "enough"
Number of Guns = N + 1 where N represents the current number on hand.
Same formula applies for motorcycles.

I like the way you think, but I'd have to debate the motorcycles part of your thesis. I don't bounce as well as I used to, and I don't heal nearly as fast, so a bike would just be a quick way for The Minions to collect their inheritance early.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:50 am

g-man wrote:Same formula applies for motorcycles.

My wife, who insists on parking her car in my garage (i.e. my motorcycle storage space) disputes that theory.
Blogspot
picsig

Mike OTDP
On a list somewhere

Postby Mike OTDP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:57 am

Candyman, you need variety. Not just a slew of ARs like everybody else. Say an FAL. An AUG. Or even a proper flintlock rifle...though if you got one of those, you'd lose interest in the suppository guns.

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:51 am

Mike OTDP wrote:Candyman, you need variety. Not just a slew of ARs like everybody else. Say an FAL. An AUG. Or even a proper flintlock rifle...though if you got one of those, you'd lose interest in the suppository guns.

Well, I do have somewhere around 400 guns ,give or take a few, most likely give. They range from black powder to modern day guns, long and short. Now I do have a set of 2A Armament titanium take down pins for an AR10. That should be a good reason to build one,right?
The house is sitting just fine, but I did add 4" of concrete to the floor in my shop. Ammo cans and crates are stacked high filled with the good bang bang stuff. I have over 3000 rounds of 124 gr 9mm FMJ just for my AR9.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 am

Candyman wrote:Well, I do have somewhere around 400 guns

I can't decide which wins out: hating you a little bit or wanting to be you. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 am

Weetabix wrote:
Candyman wrote:Well, I do have somewhere around 400 guns

I can't decide which wins out: hating you a little bit or wanting to be you. ;)

Don't be me or like me, Be better. :lol:

Here is the lower for one of my upcoming builds.
173.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Cybrludite wrote:Nevah enuf dakka!

Moar Dakka!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Candyman, that one should be a race gun.

Looks like you need some shorties, and long-distance ones, yet.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Back when I was and Ensign, I went out and bought a Savage 110 in 30-06, an NEF 12 gauge, a Savage .22 bolt action, scopes for both rifles. My night stand gun was a Browning High Power clone that my father had given me for my birthday. That was enough for what I wanted to do, and really I probably could have gone my whole life with those just fine more or less although I would have wanted more (and needs change - no concealed carry meant no need for a compact pistol, once I had the license I needed a smaller piece, etc.)

I have quite a bit more than that. There are a few others that "I need" in the sense there are specialties that would fit things I do better than what I have. Once I get finished with a couple of house projects then I will be filling those needs.

However, I am not a collector. I only buy stuff to fit a specific shooting need - and if I find that I do not shoot something, I do not keep it (exception being the .22 my father first gave me when I was 11 or something, not getting rid of that no matter what).

Even if one collects, the ones I know anyway, are buying stuff to fill some holes in the collection - no matter how narrow that hole may be. Even if just buying more of the same - if that floats your boat what the heck. I have a friend who collects Mausers. He is trying to get at least one of every variation of German made Mauser, from every plant that made it, for every year of production. I think he could outfit a Wehrmacht battalion, but WTF - it is his money.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:10 am

First Shirt wrote:As long as the floor joists aren't failing, you don't have too many. If the foundation is settling unevenly, you might want to rethink that, though.

Yea, but MOST of the weight is the AMMO!!!! That shiite weighs a LOT!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 am

308Mike wrote:Yea, but MOST of the weight is the AMMO!!!! That shiite weighs a LOT!!

As one who just recently moved, I can say yes, yes it does. Ow.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:48 am

First Shirt wrote:As long as the floor joists aren't failing light isn't being bent, you don't have too many. If the foundation is settling unevenly physical constants of the universe are shifting, you might want to rethink that, though.

Fixed it for you.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Most of y'all know that I collect surplus guns and 22s. I have pretty much filled my house with my toys.
I really don't look at my ARs as something I collect. I like building them and shooting them. I see them in two ways. Some are tools, some are just toys.
Out of all my ARs there are only three or four that I would not sell. The rest, if someone made me a good offer, they would be gone. I can always build another.
Now I have sold a few to fund another build. When I built the JACK, I sold another AR and used the money to buy the lower and the barrel.
The Hellbreaker lower build is still in the planning. I am thinking P40 Warhawk Flying Tiger.

Return to “Guns and Shooting”