Interesting couple of weeks.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rod

Interesting couple of weeks.

Post by Rod »

Next door neighbor came over a couple of weeks ago and said he had a bunch of guns his father willed to him. He knew I was an amateur appraiser and collector and wanted to find out what they were worth. He brought over
Colt SAA, made in 1914 in .38 LC (non working)
Colt SAA, made in 1899 in .38WCF (non working)
Mexican backyard made Colt SAA in .44 WCF
1860s Remington 1858 in .44 that was in great condition but had been reblued.
1873 Winchester saddle ring carbine
1873 Winchester saddle ring carbine that had been chopped up a little.
1873 Winchester rifle, octagon barrel that was missing parts
1892 Winchester full length rifle, octagon barrel .44 WCF
1895 Winchester rifle with military markings, missing handguard and most of the forearm. Lot of pitting on outside but functional.
1855 Springfield musket WITH Maynard Primer Device, wall hanger condition

From what he said and I could figure out, his father used to hunt quail in central Chihuahua in the 50s and picked these up for a song. I'm almost willing to bet, from the condition of them, that they were arms of the Mexican revolutionaries. The five Winchesters all functioned, I shot them with the old lanyard method.
He needed money so I worked out some deals with friends and took the rest to a gun show this weekend. He took the decent 1873 carbine, which I figured was worth at least 1100 bucks, to a local gun store. They confirmed that it was worth around 1100 and bought it for 750. Gun dealers have to earn a profit. I sold everything else except the 1899 Colt, the Springfield, and the Remington and got him over 4 grand for them. He felt bad that I didn't get the 92 Winchester but I told him he got more money for it than I could have paid. I told him I had fun doing the research and selling but he kept insisting I should be rewarded. I finally agreed to 10% seller fee and paid him 500 for the 1899 Colt. Took it apart last night and found it needs a sear spring, a new mainspring, and better grips. As soon as those are replaced, I'm taking it to the range. Pictures later when it's fixed. He's happy and I'm happy.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Rod

Re: Interesting couple of weeks.

Post by Rod »

Okay, took the Colt apart and the only problem was a broken sear spring. Had one handy and put it in, gun works great now. Looks like someone tried to adjust the front sight by using a vice or pipe wrench.
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

That's really cool. Just think about the history these pieces have witnessed.... Neat.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Rod

Post by Rod »

In April or May, I'm going to get a Colt letter of authenticity. By the way, it's going to be a shooter. Ordered a box from Buffalo Arms. 50 bucks with shipping. I didn't say I'd shoot it much.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Rod wrote:In April or May, I'm going to get a Colt letter of authenticity. By the way, it's going to be a shooter. Ordered a box from Buffalo Arms. 50 bucks with shipping. I didn't say I'd shoot it much.
Should reload easily enough: http://www.starlinebrass.com/articles/The-38-WCF-38-40/
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Splendid. Well done on helping with the inheritance. nice that you got something too. Well wear, and happy shooting!
Rod

Post by Rod »

slowpoke wrote:
Rod wrote:In April or May, I'm going to get a Colt letter of authenticity. By the way, it's going to be a shooter. Ordered a box from Buffalo Arms. 50 bucks with shipping. I didn't say I'd shoot it much.
Should reload easily enough: http://www.starlinebrass.com/articles/The-38-WCF-38-40/
Sold all my reloading stuff. No place really in the new house and I wasn't shooting enough to warrant keeping it.