Air Rifle scope - bottomed out...what do?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Fill

Air Rifle scope - bottomed out...what do?

Post by Fill »

I put a Hawke 2-7X on my gamo silent cat (.177) and I'm all out of adjustment in the down direction. Tight groups if I hold over 3 dots at 50'...but I like crosshairs for my POA. :P And I can see the front sight in the scope, so I think something isn't right. I thought about taller rings, but it's almost like the scope isn't level. No such problem with the scope that came with the rifle, and I'm using the same rings for the Hawke...

what do? can fix?
Darrell

Re: Air Rifle scope - bottomed out...what do?

Post by Darrell »

My first thought--swap the rings, put the front one on the back, and the back one on the front. Maybe if there's a cant to them, it would give you more at the back end.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Fill

Post by Fill »

the rings are different front and back, the back one has a set screw to keep it from moving.
but if it was a cant in the rings, wouldn't the other scope show the cant? Or do I have a bum optic?
Denis

Post by Denis »

If, as I suspect, you are shooting a break-barrel air rifle, you will be fighting the barrel "droop", which can be more than the internal elevation adjustment of your scope. You'll need a base that has elevation compensation built-in to it, like these:

http://www.pyramydair.com/search-result ... 1&saSearch

I see 13 hits on their site for "droop" mounts, and 19 mentions of "droop" on their "Airgun Academy" blog: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/ If you search there or in general for your rifle model and "barrel droop" you are bound to find solutions.

Re-reading your post, I see your air rifle is a Gamo Silent Cat, which is indeed a break-barrel model. Pyramydair sells those rifles, so give them a call and ask for a suitable droop-compensating mount.