What Gun Should I Get?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Catbird

What Gun Should I Get?

Post by Catbird »

I work for a large aircraft manufacturer in western Washington.

The company has an employee recognition system whereby your boss or someone else can give you an attaboy for going beyond the call of duty by nominating you for "pride points". These points can be redeemed at an online prize catalog. The points are worth roughly $1 ea and do not expire.

I had big plans once to save up the points, exchange them for Cabela's gift cards, buy a nice 1911, and have the company logo engraved on the slide. This is so I could tell everyone that this is the gun that (the company) bought me.

I haven't gotten any new points in a while. With all the new austerity policies lately, I doubt there will be any more in the near future. So I have given thought lately to cashing in.

I have 750 points, which can be cashed in for $750 in Cabela's or Bass Pro gift cards. There are two Cabela's within driving distance, but Bass Pro is closer than both. Due to I-594, any gun I buy is effectively registered to me.

I asked a gun friend at work for his opinion. He suggested: A) new AR-15, B) a nice scope, C) Glock G30S

I'm fine with the number of AR's I currently own. I don't have a .30ish caliber rifle to make use of a scope, other than mil-surps, although I would like to remedy that someday. I looked up the G30S and I am intrigued. I have been thinking of getting a .45 carry gun for some time. I have large hands, (size XL gloves), and fairly strong arms so I'm okay with the recoil.

I'm willing to kick in an extra $100-200 if it's for something good. I'm not in any kind of hurry.

Let me know if y'all have any suggestions.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Jered

Re: What Gun Should I Get?

Post by Jered »

S&W M&P .45?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Since you have de-facto registration no matter what, you could consider getting a nice can. :twisted:

Edit: I guess it would have helped if I had suggested something Cabela's actually carries. :oops:

Maybe a shit ton of ammo? A very nice reloading setup?

Edit 2: Also maybe peruse their used gun selection and/or the room where they keep the high grade stuff. Sometimes they have some interesting stuff move through.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Netpackrat wrote:...maybe peruse their used gun selection and/or the room where they keep the high grade stuff. Sometimes they have some interesting stuff move through.
+1.

If I had a windfall of 750 bucks, I'd be tempted to put it towards a really good riflescope. That probably won't get you a Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender or a Swarowski, but it would probably pretty much cover a nice Minox (talk to Doug at http://cameralandny.com they have the post-SHOT deals at the moment) or a Vixen http://www.vixenoptics.com. Of course, I have no idea what Cabela's or Bass pro actually stock... :P
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I agree with checking out the uses sections, there can be some good stuff sometimes. If nothing there floats your boat, I think these are pretty cool:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/kimber-h ... rPage%3D18
Rich

Post by Rich »

Get something affordable that won't wind up in a box somewhere, then blow the rest on flowers and dinner with the wife.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

750 I'd probably pock up one of the Ruger 1911s. Commander size with alloy frame.

Cabela's gun prices suck, but I think they are 699 there.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I just picked up a used Ruger SR1911. My first 1911. Haven't shot it enough to know whether I like it or not. Shoots right, but I didn't have anything with me to adjust it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cz scorpion bren pistol, then SBR it.

I think they street around 750..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:Cz scorpion bren pistol, then SBR it.

I think they street around 750..
CZ Scorpion and CZ Bren are two different guns... Also the Scorpion carbine is available now and is not a bad option to SBR because the 922R is already taken care of; just need to get the barrel cut when the stamp is approved. If I hadn't been trying to beat 41F, I would have waited for the carbine.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop