Marlin .30-30

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Re: Marlin .30-30

Post by Weetabix »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:I like it.
+1
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Didn't somebody make a picatinny rail with a ghost ring rear sight milled into it?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

XS Sight Systems makes one, but you have to buy the taller front blade separately, and I'd read mixed reviews on how well the XS rail fitted. And I got the Weaver rail, and the Williams sights for less than the XS rail alone would have cost.

And the Weaver installation was super easy. Drift the buckhorn rear sight out, drift the Weaver dovetail insert in, and attach the rail to the two forward scope base attachment screw holes, and the dovetail insert. Loc-Tite the crap out of it, and call it done. (The dovetail attachment even has two small threaded holes for set screws, one on either side of the main hole, to be used if the insert isn't tight enough to suit you.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

I like it! Happy hunting and well wear, that lucky Minion.

I usually think that scopes on leverguns look like excrescences, but that one is a nice example of good form following from functionality.

I own a couple of leverguns (a Winchester 94AE in .30-30 and a Browning in .22-250), but never yet took one out for hunting. I am a bit doubtful about loading/unloading one when moving around, but not actually hunting. I like the simplicity of putting the rounds under the bolt of my regular rifle - it's easy to do and feel, even in the dark. I suppose not loading / cocking a levergun is just as safe, but I have no experience with it.

I do have a left-handed hunting buddy who uses a scoped Marlin .30-30, and gets good results.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I've a Burris Fastfire I've been meaning to give a try on my M336 30-30. So many ideas, so little time.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

If you get the stock fit right, you'll love a red dot on a lever gun
Denis

Post by Denis »

BDK wrote:If you get the stock fit right, you'll love a red dot on a lever gun
That sounds like a superb idea. I must try one on my Browning Lever-22.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

BDK wrote:If you get the stock fit right, you'll love a red dot on a lever gun
Oooh, there's a thought.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!