First firearm for the kiddo

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
BobbyK

First firearm for the kiddo

Post by BobbyK »

Zoë's five and a half, and I think that it's time for her to get a pellet rifle for Christmas. Our house backs up to a lake, so we've got a more or less ideal setup for an at home range.

I'll appreciate input and "lessons learned" from the crowd as to what model will be best.
Cobar

Re: First firearm for the kiddo

Post by Cobar »

I can't speak on specific models, but I will say the important thing is that it is not too large or heavy for her, and that she can operate it.

Some air rifles are pretty tough to cock and pumping some can get tiring for someone that young.

I would also think that it would be important to be reasonably accurate. No one would want to learn on something that shoots groups like a shotgun pattern.
Malthorn

Post by Malthorn »

rightisright

Post by rightisright »

randy

Post by randy »

+1 :mrgreen:

Seriously, I didn't chime in since you mentioned pellet gun. Darlin' daughter's first rifle was a Cricket, but she was 8 when she got it.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
BobbyK

Post by BobbyK »

Yeah. Looking for something a bit less energetic than a .22 for her first.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

For a kid that young, maybe airsoft would be a good place to start.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

When you do go for a .22, remember that Savage makes the Rascal, which is a Cricket-sized single-shot that is easier to scope, (if that's a consideration) and comes in a left-handed version, if needed. My grandaughters loves hers!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom