.243 win, Ruger, No.1, rifle

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rumpshot

.243 win, Ruger, No.1, rifle

Post by Rumpshot »

With 3-9 Bushnell Banner scope.

Local online auction going on til Saturday Noon. I have the current high bid at $350.00, but someone else is bidding on it. Will have to take my time and try to be at the keyboard Saturday.

Any thoughts? I don't have anything in .243.

Auctioneer indicates no dents, dings, etc. Photo's look good.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
First Shirt

Re: .243 win, Ruger, No.1, rifle

Post by First Shirt »

No.1s tend to be a little finicky about what they'll shoot well, and sensitive to fore end pressure. That said, if you can find a load that it likes, it will shoot with the best of them.
I got mine cheap because it wouldn't group with factory ammo, but it will group well with 180 gr. BTSPs over max charges of H4831.

Good luck!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

A handsome piece
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

You can back the fore end screw out of the hanger until the fore end rattles, then tighten just enough to remove the rattle, and free-float the barrel. Some No.1's do best that way, but some need a little fore end pressure to be consistent.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Rumpshot wrote:With 3-9 Bushnell Banner scope.

Local online auction going on til Saturday Noon. I have the current high bid at $350.00,
It will hit at least 600. Have you priced a new one lately? They're all over a grand.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

HTRN wrote:
Rumpshot wrote:With 3-9 Bushnell Banner scope.

Local online auction going on til Saturday Noon. I have the current high bid at $350.00,
It will hit at least 600. Have you priced a new one lately? They're all over a grand.
It is currently at $545 plus premium for the auctioneer and sales tax.

I have had my eye on a Ruger No. 1 rifle in one caliber or another for a looooong time.

The scope appears to be adequate.

Not to sure how far to push this one. $600 is starting to get to be real money.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I just looked it up, they're now got a list price of 1500.. :shock:

So its probably gonna hit 700+.

I did see that its now being offered in far fewer calibers than previously, but that one of them is in 7x57, but marked "275 Rigby". Me wanty.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

WOW! Didn't realize they'd gotten that pricey! I bought mine for $300, (back about 1980) but that was a lot of money to a penniless E-5 with two kids.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Well, I own it. Still need to do the 4473 and take possession. The auctioneer, who does the paperwork, was still busy with another auction when I had to turn into a pumpkin and head home yesterday.

The buying price ended up being $556. Plus fees...

I did get an opportunity to fondle it, just wish we could have completed everything and brought it home. Will stop by today and try to get it done.

Did pick up a couple of quart sized bags of brass, .243 and .22-250.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Which version of No. 1 is it? (Pictures? We can haz pictures??)
Lindy Cooper Wisdom