BIT: Spring powered crossbow cartridges

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
BDK

BIT: Spring powered crossbow cartridges

Post by BDK »

For NYC: What about trying to develop some type of semi-auto cross bow, where the bolts are attached to a coiled spring, contained in some fashion?
tfbncc

Re: BIT: Spring powered crossbow cartridges

Post by tfbncc »

I can see a major problem right off the bat. Where are you going to put the spring? If it is contained in the bow, you will have to reset it before reloading and that would negate any advantage to having a semi auto loading system. If the spring is located in the shaft of the arrow, it may throw off accuracy ore reduce the range due to the extra weight.

What is the purpose of redesigning a perfectly good propulsion system as contained in a crossbow?

If you MUST have a launching system, I would prefer pneumatic such as the Benjamin Pioneer Airbow.

Amazon LInk

What about a gas piston pellet rifle that would fire a hollow arrow? You don't have to re-invent anything, just modify existing technology by finding an arrow shaft that would fit into the barrel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote:For NYC: What about trying to develop some type of semi-auto cross bow, where the bolts are attached to a coiled spring, contained in some fashion?
Crossbows are illegal in NYC.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
BDK wrote:For NYC: What about trying to develop some type of semi-auto cross bow, where the bolts are attached to a coiled spring, contained in some fashion?
Crossbows are illegal in NYC.
<blah> are illegal in NYC. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

This guy has taken a pistol crossbow and added a multiple shot magazine to the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAyCVTV8-lM
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote:Crossbows are illegal in NYC.
And your point is.........?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

They fall into the same category as firearms, at least as far as prosecution goes, iirc.

So, why would you use an illegal crossbow, when a gun was just as big a risk?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

If it were powered by a coiled spring, what would make it a crossbow?
And to eliminate the effectiveness-sapping weight of a spring that the projectile had to drag downrange, if the projectile and the spring were two separate pieces, the weapon would be a kinetic version of black powder; the projectile and the propellant are carried separately and assembled in the weapon.
I don't picture much of a projectile -- something smaller than a crossbow bolt, but just as pointy, and no "Cross" part of the crossbow.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote:They fall into the same category as firearms, at least as far as prosecution goes, iirc.
So, why would you use an illegal crossbow, when a gun was just as big a risk?
"Blam" "Archie, call the cops, someone shot a gun!!"

"twang-thump" "Edith, did you hear that?" "No Archie, I didn't"
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
BDK

Post by BDK »

I couldn't find any sources stating that cross bows are illegal in NYC - just that they aren't legal for hunting.