AR15 Recommendations

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
scipioafricanus

AR15 Recommendations

Post by scipioafricanus »

Guy I know if looking for an AR15 in the future. I don't know what it is for yet (home defense, target shooting, "fun"), but his budget is $1500.
I pointed him toward three manufacturers so far: Daniel Defense for a "Best one" and Ruger/S&W for a cheaper price point.

Any ideas?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Darrell

Re: AR15 Recommendations

Post by Darrell »

I'm very happy with my Daniels M4V7. They've updated it a bit since I got mine. Got it for under $1,500. Some people can't get past the zooty looking furniture on the DD, I guess I got used to it. It is certainly unique looking. The trigger in mine appears to be mil spec, a bit disappointing at the price point.

I talked a friend into a Ruger some months ago, going off press and video reports. One, a taper pin fell out of the front sight base first time he shot it, two, the rear sight has just a single aperture, though it looks like (and should!) have two, as standard. The new Springfield Saint AR is nicely outfitted for the price.

Best bang for the buck I've gotten in an AR lately--the Adams Arms blem piston gun I wrote about a while back. Got it at Bud's, under $600. I have considered selling the Daniels Defense In favor of the AA.

I've heard good things about the S&W AR Sport II at about the same price point as the Ruger. On the other hand, I think I read that the S&Ws have been banned from Appleseed shoots for some reason.
Last edited by Darrell on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
scipioafricanus

22 M&P have been banned from Appleseed, I don't think ARs are.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Get a Ruger, or a Stag Arms, and get a .22LR conversion kit for it. I have both, and couldn't be more please with them.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

scipioafricanus wrote:22 M&P have been banned from Appleseed, I don't think ARs are.
Ah, right, that's it. :oops:

I got screamin' deals on an upper and lower at Armalite some years ago, during their T'giving and Xmas sales--$515 for both, first rate gun. Don't know if they do as well on their sales nowadays, though, might keep an eye on their website.

Might keep an eye on Palmetto and elsewhere on the web--I suspect with Trump's win, prices will drop on guns, might get a deal. I think a lot of people were banking on a Hillary win, hoping for a hot market before her inauguration. Wouldn't be surprised to see the bottom fall out instead.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

scipioafricanus wrote:22 M&P have been banned from Appleseed, I don't think ARs are.
Do you know why?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Darrell wrote:Might keep an eye on Palmetto and elsewhere on the web--I suspect with Trump's win, prices will drop on guns, might get a deal. I think a lot of people were banking on a Hillary win, hoping for a hot market before her inauguration. Wouldn't be surprised to see the bottom fall out instead.
This, big time. Also, consider buying the upper and lower separately. Especially if you want a good trigger.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I can't recommend Spikes Tactical enough. Very good quality, tight fit, and an out of the box trigger I am very pleased with.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Does $1500 include an optic?

My better ARs are Bravo barrels and BCGs, Colt LKPs (minus FCG) and Geissele FCGs.

Since the Hillster lost, there should be a LOT of good Black Friday sales this year. I just picked up a top of the line Sons of Liberty BCG (w. free beanie hat) for $125.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... 3084070593
scipioafricanus

His wife has some medical issues that limit recoil and weight. I am actually thinking he should get a 9mm AR carbine actually.