Rebore barrel

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
blackeagle603

Rebore barrel

Post by blackeagle603 »

Not thought about this in the current era and not living next door to a 'smith anymore so have on reference points.

What's cost these days to have an '06 barrel bored out to .35?

Got an eye on a nicely done old sporter conversion to a Remington 1917 that's begging to be converted to 35 Whelen.

It's been cut to 22" but looks to have the original (substantial) full barrel profile. It wasn't turned down to a buggy whip as was often popular in the 60's and 70's for this nice a (professional, not Bubba) conversion.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Re: Rebore barrel

Post by HTRN »

Unless you're particularly attached to the original barrel, you're better off replacing it.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

That in terms of the quality of the finished bore, the cost, or both?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Yes.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I can personally vouch for this company http://www.redmansrifling.com/ . I have had two rifles rebored/rifled by Mr. Redman in the late 70's and both were excellent jobs. back then I didn't own the machine shop I now have and couldn't do the complex work needed to rebarrel a Marlin or Winchester lever rifle from a blank.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.