Smart*$$ kid!

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Smart*$$ kid!

Post by First Shirt »

So, today, Senior Minion #1 called to tell me that she'd been playing with the BDC on her new Burris scout scope. Since she's running an identical scope to mine, and MINE doesn't have a BDC, I asked what she'd been smoking.

She's figured out that by using the heavy part of the lower vertical crosshair as a post, she can put rounds about 10 inches high at 100 yards. Which should have her about 2 inches high at 300 yards. And now she wants to try it out, just to see if it works, if I can find a 300 yard range for us to play on.

Kids didn't used to be this smart-assed, did they?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Frankingun

Re: Smart*$$ kid!

Post by Frankingun »

One could say, that you are parenting them well.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Yay Minions! Which Burris scopes do you have? I looked at them at IWA and they seemed nice.

I was thinking of you and the Minions the other day- I saw a left-hand Ruger American at the gunshop, going for a song, so I bough it for a young lady who has her hunter's licence, but no rifle. I found a Bauer 6x scope in the spares box which fitted nicely, and a boresight plus three rounds of .30-06 got it on-target.

Turns out the young lady's father has told her to shoot right-handed. Now I am again the proud right-handed owner of a left-handed rifle!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

We're both running the 2.75X LER scopes with heavy duplex reticles. Haven't had a chance to get to the range and verify her theory, but it seems pretty reasonable. (And she's delighted with her sorta-scout rifle.)

If the young lady is left-eye dominant, she'd be better served by shooting left-handed. There are a number of simple tests to determine eye dominance, and it's pretty important, because the dominant eye controls depth perception.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:We're both running the 2.75X LER scopes with heavy duplex reticles. ...

If the young lady is left-eye dominant, she'd be better served by shooting left-handed. There are a number of simple tests to determine eye dominance, and it's pretty important, because the dominant eye controls depth perception.
Thanks! I think so too, but the father is set on getting her a Blaser 93, and they don't come in a left-hand model...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

One thing that has been interesting to me, is watching on InRangeTV on Youtube how Ian can rock a right handed bolt action left handed. It's probably not ideal, but maybe the only good way somebody who is left eye dominant can shoot a lot of historic rifles.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I'm left handed w/right eye dominant. I grew up shooting RH guns left handed, feels more natural to me.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Right handed and right eye dominant. During shooting today I noticed that I am starting to shoot with my left eye while using handguns because it sees better than my right eye now. I didn't even plan to do it. It just kinda happened. Shooting rifles right handed and left eyed is not going to happen, however. Earmuffs already give me enough trouble in that regard already.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote:One thing that has been interesting to me, is watching on InRangeTV on Youtube how Ian can rock a right handed bolt action left handed. It's probably not ideal, but maybe the only good way somebody who is left eye dominant can shoot a lot of historic rifles.
I guess the one I was thinking of was on Forgotten Weapons and not InRange...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75mXWv_-0o

The whole thing is worth watching, but if you skip to about 8:10 you can see him running the Jungle Carbine left handed and making it look easy.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop