Anyone had any experience with the Kel Tec Sub2k gen 2?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JustinR

Anyone had any experience with the Kel Tec Sub2k gen 2?

Post by JustinR »

So I haven't been able to take my wife to the range to find a pistol she likes yet, and the election and its consequences are weighing heavily on my mind. I'm very seriously considering buying a gen2 Sub2k that will take the G23 mags I already own for her to keep as a truck gun if she won't carry a pistol regularly. Has anyone had any experience with these? The reviews online are largely positive, assuming I can find the one I want for sale...which of course is a crapshoot. I was going to build her a pistol AR, but this is a cheaper option with less recoil. Thoughts?
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
slowpoke

Re: Anyone had any experience with the Kel Tec Sub2k gen 2?

Post by slowpoke »

Has Ruger starting makeing a knock off one and no one told me, or else, where are you finding them? I havent seen one in stock in a long time.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I haven't fondled one in person yet. Found one FFL in Plano with two G22 models in stock, and one down in Waxahatche with two tan G23 models in stock, and that's it locally, both found through internet searching.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

Precision

Post by Precision »

They are a 3-6 moa gun at 100 yards. They do not like to be run dry. Some good lube and a refresher every month or two will greatly aid good working condition if stored in your vehicle.

I would strongly advise adding some water pipe insulation over the stock / buffer tube. That metal gets COLD in the winter and your face rests on it and with any significant amount of shooting it will bang into your cheek bone a bit. The insulation (properly cut to allow the charging handle to work) makes a great addition.

The gen 2 sights are WAY better then the old ones. There are several companies that make a spring operated swing away red dot mount, so you can fold up the gun and still have an optic. having a red dot makes for much more accurate shooting.

The stock length adjuster is a tad annoying the first time or two, but it works (slowly), so just adjust to where she likes it and leave it alone.

Also buy some of the 15 rd and 22 round mags. They will also run in the gun you are talking about and much more fire power.

If you are having difficulty finding one, my former store B&H GunRack in Merritt Island Florida, usually has some in stock for just under $400 or if you want the store exclusive digicam one, right at about $500
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I do have two 22 round mags heading my way from Brownells, even if I don't buy the carbine, I can use them in my pistol. I saw that Midwest Industries has a swing out red dot just for this gun, was probably going to buy that one since I like their stuff I've bought. I will check out that store, thank you.

Precision

Post by Precision »

JustinR wrote:I do have two 22 round mags heading my way from Brownells, even if I don't buy the carbine, I can use them in my pistol. I saw that Midwest Industries has a swing out red dot just for this gun, was probably going to buy that one since I like their stuff I've bought. I will check out that store, thank you.
I know they have at least one 9mm in stock. I was there today and saw it. Not sure on 40's as I forgot to look. phone is 321 452 1105 Tell them I sent you. The guy who just quit and moved to TN.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
martini

Post by martini »

I've shot both the 9 and 40 versions both gen 1. They are ugly, moderately uncomfortable, the pipe insulation should help, and they work. There are some significant compromises that you make because of the design, but they are compact and reliable if cared for. I wouldn't have any problem keeping one as a truck gun.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura