Starting on a Junkyard build

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

Starting on a Junkyard build

Post by Candyman »

I picked this C7 upper up last week for $45.
It's a little ugly, but have been giving some thought on building an AR from mostly used parts. Just a junker that I don't have to worry about what it looks like. One I can just throw in the truck without a case and not worry about a scratch or two getting on it each time I take it for a ride.

Now I need to start looking for some used parts.
I want to use a barrel with a front sight tower, but not sure which stock I will go with. Maybe something free or cheap. :lol:
Anyone have some extra used parts that they would like to get rid of?
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Denis

Re: Starting on a Junkyard build

Post by Denis »

Sorry, don't have any AR parts to chip in.

Any idea of the history of that upper? It looks like someone stashed it in a swamp and forgot it. I love the rusty round-head screw holding the sight disk. Can't wait to see the Candyman magic happen...
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Onside ring that most of the AR is aluminum, all it takes to look better than new is a paint job.

Have considered mebbe doing a triangular handgun Rd retro Build? Or perhaps a xm177, only in 300 Blackout? Of course that's gonna need a stamp..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Denis wrote:Sorry, don't have any AR parts to chip in.

Any idea of the history of that upper? It looks like someone stashed it in a swamp and forgot it. I love the rusty round-head screw holding the sight disk. Can't wait to see the Candyman magic happen...
My buddy dug the upper out of the mess that was his office at his house. When it flooded here in Louisiana, back in August, his house took on about four feet of water. It was under water for three days and was found about a week later while cleaning out his house. The upper has never been on a rifle, but there are a few marks from a charging handle latch.
HTRN wrote:Onside ring that most of the AR is aluminum, all it takes to look better than new is a paint job.

Have considered mebbe doing a triangular handgun Rd retro Build? Or perhaps a xm177, only in 300 Blackout? Of course that's gonna need a stamp..
If it were an A1 upper I would spend the money to do a retro A1 build, but it's a C7 upper. :( So the plan it to build it cheap and ugly and use it as a truck gun.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Candyman wrote: Anyone have some extra used parts that they would like to get rid of?
I've got a mess of used handguards (various lenths), slings, grips, misc lower parts, stock assemblies, a couple beater scopes, and carry handle mounts. Much of it would definitely qualify as ugly. I can send pics and you tell me what you want. I'd rather see this stuff used in a build than try to sell it for pennies at a show.

ETA: Candyman, what's your email? I don't see a link in your profile.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Durham68
I just updated my profile so that you can email me.

LEE
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Candyman wrote:Durham68

LEE
Let me know if you got anything. I am emails from this site that I am sending emails to myself when I use the contact link in your profile.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Durham68 wrote:

LEE
Let me know if you got anything. I am emails from this site that I am sending emails to myself when I use the contact link in your profile.
The site is configured to automatically send you a copy of the same email you send to someone else - unless you uncheck the box below the text entry box for the email. Look for the following text below the text entry box for the contents of your email.

BOX Send a copy of this email to yourself.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Durham68
I emailed you a list but forgot to put A Delta ring on it. If you have one that is a little ugly, I could use it.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

308Mike wrote:
Durham68 wrote:

LEE
The site is configured to automatically send you a copy of the same email you send to someone else - unless you uncheck the box below the text entry box for the email. Look for the following text below the text entry box for the contents of your email.

BOX Send a copy of this email to yourself.
Ahh. Thank you.