Been thinking about an SBR

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

So what should I start saving money for in the SBR world

10-12" 300 Blackout
24%
10" 10 mm because TEN MM
12%
10" 9mm cause bullets are CHEAP
6%
We found the secret to magic brownies, its WEED, just eat some of that and forget the SBR
29%
<16" for 7.62x25
12%
10" 45 Super
No votes
10" 460 Rowland
No votes
.223 / 556 like Satan demands all AR's be set up
18%

Total votes: 17

Netpackrat

Re: Been thinking about an SBR

Post by Netpackrat »

JustinR wrote:There is a very similar sliding brace available for the Sig MPX now as well, if you don't want the side folding stock version. Now if the gun wasn't so darn expensive...
Get a Scorpion Evo... It's hundreds cheaper, and won't put gas in your face like the Sig when running suppressed. Mags are $20 each, as opposed to $70 or so for the MPX mags (though the MPX mags are better, being made by Lancer). The aftermarket for the EVO is starting to get decent, as well.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

JustinR wrote:Now, the downside is that yes, the ATF could change their mind.
"Could"? Don't you mean "probably "? :|
JustinR wrote:At this point however, I think they are stuck with their ruling.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

The same Batfe who changed their minds about the bump fire stock and declared it a machinegun after thousands had been Sold? The same Batfe that declared a piece of string needed a tax stamp? Or how about the fact they declared drum fed shotguns a dd decades after they had been Introduced? You keep forgetting, those opinion letters are not legally binding, and subject to change at any time.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Netpackrat wrote:
JustinR wrote:There is a very similar sliding brace available for the Sig MPX now as well, if you don't want the side folding stock version. Now if the gun wasn't so darn expensive...
Get a Scorpion Evo... It's hundreds cheaper, and won't put gas in your face like the Sig when running suppressed. Mags are $20 each, as opposed to $70 or so for the MPX mags (though the MPX mags are better, being made by Lancer). The aftermarket for the EVO is starting to get decent, as well.
I believe the "gas in your face" from the MPX is a myth. I've seen videos for and against, and it's hard for me to believe that there is lots of blowback in a gas piston designed weapon, especially with an adjustable gas block on it. Those who claim there is lots of blowback can't seem to show it scientifically. So much of it is going to be dependent upon ammo, silencer, and gas block settings.

The EVO aftermarket is doing well. Some of the smaller manufacturers are planning on releasing parts, or at least so they say.

Mag prices for the MPX suck. But you get a coupon from Sig for 20% off when you register, and you can buy them there for cheaper, but not as cheap as the EVO mags. Lancer is my favorite magazine company, too. They make some awesome stuff.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

JAG2955 wrote:I believe the "gas in your face" from the MPX is a myth. I've seen videos for and against, and it's hard for me to believe that there is lots of blowback in a gas piston designed weapon, especially with an adjustable gas block on it. Those who claim there is lots of blowback can't seem to show it scientifically. So much of it is going to be dependent upon ammo, silencer, and gas block settings.
Just because some people didn't have the issue, doesn't mean it didn't happen to the people who did report it. Particularly when there IS plenty of video evidence of it happening. Then you've still got the huge cost advantage of the CZ. I bought mine and wrote a $200 check to the ATF a few days later, and was still under a grand even after having it shipped to Alaska and paying my FFL.
The EVO aftermarket is doing well. Some of the smaller manufacturers are planning on releasing parts, or at least so they say.
I replaced the mag catch on mine a while back, and the biggest challenge I had was choosing between several alternatives. I see there is at least one more available since then. There's more new stuff all the time. And it's easy to order spare parts from CZ. I see they are now offering the handguard from the carbine version as an accessory for pistol owners. Supposed to be a new grip with replaceable backstraps out from Yet Wurks sometime this week.
Mag prices for the MPX suck. But you get a coupon from Sig for 20% off when you register, and you can buy them there for cheaper, but not as cheap as the EVO mags. Lancer is my favorite magazine company, too. They make some awesome stuff.
If we somehow get stuck with another ban, the advantage may shift to the MPX since the Lancers should last forever. At the moment I think I have 9 30 round mags for the EVO bought for about $20 each. Even using your coupon and buying all at once, that's close to $500 in magazines if I'd bought that many for a Sig.

And personally I like the control layout of the EVO better anyway, specifically because it is NOT laid out like an AR. The safety leaves a bit to be desired, but there are lots of aftermarket parts available to make it better, and paddle mag releases abound, for an AK like mag change. There are at least a couple of different options for trigger jobs (factory trigger sux), and even after buying parts to make mine what I want, I am still going to be into it for MUCH less than an MPX, without even taking mags into account. Plus the charging handle lets you do the "MP-5 slap" if that matters to you.

One legitimate criticism is the odd 18mm barrel thread on the early units, but current production comes with 1/2-28. And the older barrels can be re-threaded to 1/2-28.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

HTRN wrote:
The same Batfe who changed their minds about the bump fire stock and declared it a machinegun after thousands had been Sold?
Huh? I haven't seen that ruling anywhere and googlage is failing to find it. Bumpfire and Slidefire stocks are still being sold on their websites and elsewhere.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Google Akins accelerator.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

HTRN wrote:Google Akins accelerator.

I'm familiar w. that. Thought you were referring to the new bump fire stocks for the AR.
Precision

Post by Precision »

tried to shoot an mpx today. Couldn't shoot it cause after 500 rounds the firing pin broke. Sig says no replacement ones for 3-5 months.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote:tried to shoot an mpx today. Couldn't shoot it cause after 500 rounds the firing pin broke. Sig says no replacement ones for 3-5 months.
Doh. EVO firing pin is $18 and in stock at cz-usa.com. :lol:

Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Honestly the last 2-3 years have convinced me that unless Sig takes great strides to publicly un-fuck themselves, they are to be avoided at all costs. Quality levels that would embarrass Taurus at HK prices. No thanks.