New pieces

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

New pieces

Post by Rich Jordan »

This year's FNRA dinner was on Thursday, and I came out with two new firearms. I wasn't really aiming at getting them, it was just luck.

Chiappa 1873 SAA Revolver, .22LR (six shot). I know this has an alloy (sounds like pot metal) frame, but not much else. I've read a few reviews but they're all over the map. Some love, some hate, some hate because they don't like SAAs, some think its a great plinker. Certainly cheap (under $200 retail)

The second was a Turkish made 'Canik TP9SA', imported by Century Arms. High cap 9mm, more or less service pistol sized. Polymer frame, Glock-style trigger (though single action). Again mixed reviews though it gained a lot of dislike for the decocker that 'kills the trigger'.

I won't have them for a week due to waiting periods.

Any experience with them? I'm considering asking the shop that does the transfers if they'd like to 'buy them back' for store credit so I can get something more useful but maybe they'll be fun and worth keeping.

Thanks
Rich Jordan

Re: New pieces

Post by Rich Jordan »

Got them today

The Chiappa honestly reminds me of a heavy cap gun. It has a thick matte black finish, almost plastic looking. Heavy trigger but smooth. I'm debating putting it out on consignment still; I just don't think I want it all that much, or would enjoy shooting it compared to my Ruger 22/45. My wife also prefers her Ruger just from handling this.

Tha Canik is actually more interesting. Apparently the Friends of the NRA are getting a 'special' that has a desert tan frame, OD slide, magazine pad, and backstrap. It looks nice but its definitely a full size pistol.Trigger is ok. Its a single action striker fired pistol; the decocker (left over from a DA version) drops the striker and leaves the trigger in a do-nothing state. It is on the top of the slide in front of the rear sight.

I tried loading the two magazines (made by Mec Gar so should be decent) and although rated as 18 rounds, I could not get #18 loaded. 17+1 is still a nice capacity though.

Still unsure about this one too. Seems nice enough, but I have a wondernine service pistol already (a steel Witness) and I'm just not much into 9mm. Its too large for easy carry and might not be that easy to find a good concealment holster for.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Canik pistols piqued my interest a while back but then I didn't hear much about them again. Does yours have the really short sight radius set-up?
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Seems like a normal radius to me; the sights are located very close to the ends of the slide. About 6.5 inches.

This one also has "Friends of NRA" embossed in the slide; I missed that earlier.

Pic and info is here but you'll need to scroll down and click on the pistol for details.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Nevermind. I was thinking of the caracal.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

KO.

I think I'll consign the Chiappa. Since I took it home it will have to be 'used' but I should get at least $100 for it after fees (I hope). And I'm considering letting go of another couple of handguns I never use (or at least nor any more), but don't want to deal with the ill-annoy hassles; maybe the shop will do me a little better deal on fees with multiple guns that will likely be more sellable than this one.

The more I read about the Canik the more I think it would be a good car gun, or perhaps talk to outside family members and see if they're coming around to having a decent defensive pistol available. The reviews are really turning out to be quite positive once you get past the decocker hate.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Tam did one of her 2000-round tests on a Canik back in March of this year, you could see what she has to say. Save you from having to do all that shooting yourself!
(http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.co ... chive.html)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Thanks.

I did confirm one of the annoying issues from the reviews. Nothing I have that is supposed to fit Picatinny rails works on it. The slots are too shallow for the cross bolts. Aimshot laser, a S&W mini LED light, and a rifle offset flashlight holder all failed because the cross bolt or pressure-fit stake can't go through the shallow slots. I'm not sure there is enough meat in the polymer frame to deepen the slots without coming really close to breaking through.

Bummer; for my family members, a small light/laser on this pistol would be ideal. And I wouldn't have minded it myself.