Online gun auctions dying?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Denis

Re: Online gun auctions dying?

Post by Denis »

Rod wrote:
BDK wrote:Wait, you're selling a Merwin, and you didn't tell us first?
If it's all right, I'll post the three sales on here and, when the time runs out, I'll offer them to members. Don't bid on Gunbroker if you want one. The Merwin's a baby pocket in .38 S&W and is pretty beat up.
I think that would be OK, Rod.

(I'd almost be tempted myself, but the import paperwork would be a killer...)
Rod

Post by Rod »

one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

PawPaw wrote:That's what a too-high reserve price gets you.
All a reserve does is give the seller the opportunity to say no.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

It helps a lot to review closed auctions for similar items and see what they actually sold for. Many sellers are very optimistic about prices...then set their reserve at their target price. Won't work. Especially when buyers see the same item over and over - they stop bidding.
evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote: You want to sell your Gun? Do an opening bid of 1 dollar, with a reserve, and a buy it now that's on the high side. This advice came from a friend who does a lot of eBay sales (over 10K of them, last I looked, some of the items in the 6 figure range). High opening bids turn people off, and smacks of greed. If you get them involved, making multiple bids, they're more likely to bid beyond what they initially are willing to, due to becoming psychologically involved in the auction, "bid fever".
I am totally opposite. Most sellers have an over inflated value and on Gunbroker you see right away if others have sold and for how much. Starting at a dollar vs an unknown reserve just makes it appear in the top of a price search but savvy bidders know the reserve is probably too high so interest and bidding fades quick. Its all about knowing what it's really worth not what you want.
If you must put in a reserve make it the absolute rock bottom possible to keep out single bid wins and in that case just start it at that price with no reserve. If it doesn't sell adjust the price because renewals are Free.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've bought several guns off Gunbroker in the last few years, including the .22 boltie that a grandson is getting for his birthday next month. Figure out what you're looking for, and what's the most you'll spend for it. There are some good deals out there, but ya gotta be patient. And don't get into a pissing contest over an item. Once you hit your limit, QUIT!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
evan price

Post by evan price »

With all due respect to you sir:

I'm not an expert on the Merwin but imho $600 would be top of the mark.

The Winchester take down is decent but had had parts replaced including all the wood and I'd call it a $350 gun.

The Victory may be a Navy gun BUT the cylinder is not original and it was reblued. Did someone attempt a 38 special conversion? That was common with surplus victories. If so the original 38 s&w bore of.360" will be loose with 38spl bullets.
I can buy numbers matching Victories for under $500 in good condition. Even with a $100 premium for Navy marked that is $600 for a matching numbers with original finish and yours is not. $350-$400 imho.

My opinion on value is worth exactly what I'm charging for it so take it at face value.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote: I am totally opposite. Most sellers have an over inflated value and on Gunbroker you see right away if others have sold and for how much. Starting at a dollar vs an unknown reserve just makes it appear in the top of a price search but savvy bidders know the reserve is probably too high so interest and bidding fades quick. Its all about knowing what it's really worth not what you want.
If you must put in a reserve make it the absolute rock bottom possible to keep out single bid wins and in that case just start it at that price with no reserve. If it doesn't sell adjust the price because renewals are Free.
The key to selling is getting the most eyes on it as possible (low initial bid), protecting your sale (the reserve), and encouraging impulse buys (buy it now). The really clever ones set up the auction to end on a Sunday night, when more people are home, and are thus able to bid. As for "savvy buyers", most of them don't give a rats ass about either the reserve, or the buy it now, they use a sniper, with the absolute most their willing to pay, and then ignore it. If they win, hey great, if not, we'll, it didn't cost them anything. and oh, never bid a round number, always bid up an odd amount, as most people bid in nice round numbers.

The seller doesn't care about the savvy buyer, he just wants his shit sold for the most amount of money, and the tactics above tend to help do that.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rod

Post by Rod »

evan price wrote:
With all due respect to you sir:

I'm not an expert on the Merwin but imho $600 would be top of the mark.

The Winchester take down is decent but had had parts replaced including all the wood and I'd call it a $350 gun.

The Victory may be a Navy gun BUT the cylinder is not original and it was reblued. Did someone attempt a 38 special conversion? That was common with surplus victories. If so the original 38 s&w bore of.360" will be loose with 38spl bullets.
I can buy numbers matching Victories for under $500 in good condition. Even with a $100 premium for Navy marked that is $600 for a matching numbers with original finish and yours is not. $350-$400 imho.

My opinion on value is worth exactly what I'm charging for it so take it at face value.
Not angry, I understand where you're coming from but I beg to differ. I AM fairly expert on the Merwins and any of them in any condition are going for a fairly high price. Problem is that they're pretty much a niche gun since most people haven't heard of them. Since this one is in working condition, even though it looks like shit, it's worth more. The 1906 Winchester, when I got it, had a brass screw for a front sight, the forearm was boogered all to hell, and a previous owner had put a Rossi stock that didn't fit on it. The parts I replaced were period authentic. The few 1906s I've seen being sold are going for quite a bit more. As far as the Victory, I'm not asking much more than I paid for it, I'm not price gouging. The U.S. Navy Victories were all .38 Special. The exports were .38-200 (.38 S&W). I think my biggest problem is that all three guns are basically niche guns that the normal buyer isn't going to want. And I seriously value what you said. Gives another angle to it. I've never gotten mad at someone about their opinions on guns because it IS their opinion. Now, if you tried to sell me a piece of shit at premium prices because you think I'm an idiot, THEN we're going to go round and round.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Okay, the three guns didn't sell. If anyone is interested, e-mail me. We can discuss pricing then but I promise not to gouge you.