Waiting on my tax stamp

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

Waiting on my tax stamp

Post by Candyman »

I had a Trust drawn up and sent off my paperwork for my SBR tax stamp about four months ago. While I'm waiting I decided to buy an upper for it. PSA had a 10.5 barreled upper with the front sight tower on sale for $199 with free shipping so, I ordered it. I changed the handguard and the flash hider and can't wait to see how it shoots.
I also wanted an upper with a rail and flash can so, I ordered the parts and they arrived the other day.
A friend called and said that he sent off his paperwork for his SBR tax stamp and wanted to know how had it was to build an upper. I told him to come over and I could show him. He arrived yesterday evening and we cleared of my work bench a little and started putting the upper together. He was amazed at how easy it was. The most trouble we had with the build was the dust cover. I kept dropping the E-clip.
I did realize that I didn't have a forward assist, so that gives me and excuse to place another parts order. Shipping is free on orders over $100. What else do I need to order?
Here's the lower we built last night.
I used an Anderson Upper I got from Primary Arms on sale for $49.
Davidson Defense M-Lok 12" Ultra Slim Handrail
Davidson Defense 5.56 NATO AR-15 10.5" SOCOM Barrel 1/9 Twist With Melonite Nitride Finish.
Davidson Defense Premium Melonite Nitride BCG
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Netpackrat

Re: Waiting on my tax stamp

Post by Netpackrat »

As I understand it, you can use any buffer tube you want on a pistol, even one that will take a stock, as long as you don't actually put one on there, or have a stock in possession without a rifle it can go on. Or you could buy a pistol buffer and run it until your stamp arrives. That's assuming you are doing a Form 1 on a virgin or pistol lower. If you did a Form 4 for an existing SBR, never mind.

Edit: Oh, I see now that you put together a lower already, I just don't see any pics of it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Candyman, your post got me thinking - any chance that, in your copious free time :-) you would do a pictorial/tutorial here on how to assemble an AR from parts? It's all Greek to me.

I know I could watch the Brownell's videos (again), but (a) they are trying to sell stuff and I don't know enough to know what is or is not necessary, and (b) your ones always seem to turn out so nice!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Denis wrote:Candyman, your post got me thinking - any chance that, in your copious free time :-) you would do a pictorial/tutorial here on how to assemble an AR from parts? It's all Greek to me.

I know I could watch the Brownell's videos (again), but (a) they are trying to sell stuff and I don't know enough to know what is or is not necessary, and (b) your ones always seem to turn out so nice!
I would have to do some cleaning up, my shop is a mess and all three workbenches are covered with stuff. I will see what I can do.
ARs are pretty simple but having the right tools helps out a lot.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

I second Denis' request. I've got three Anderson stripped lowers, and know I need to do something with them, but don't know where to start...
randy

Post by randy »

Candyman wrote:ARs are pretty simple but having the right tools helps out a lot.
Well, as a first step, maybe a listing of the right tools?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Guncrazy wrote:I second Denis' request. I've got three Anderson stripped lowers, and know I need to do something with them, but don't know where to start...
Did they only sell them in sets of three? That's how many I've got, and I bought them from a guy who bought ... a set of three!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

randy wrote:
Candyman wrote:ARs are pretty simple but having the right tools helps out a lot.
First, you make a roux...
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

You Tube = "Build an AR". There are oodles, gobes, and scads of them.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

SoupOrMan wrote:
randy wrote:
First, you make a roux...
:lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt