Should I convert my 1911?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

If I convert my 1911 what should the new caliber be?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

.38 Super
10%
9mm
5%
10mm
20%
.45ACP
35%
Some really stupid & esoteric caliber that fits
20%
Magic Browning, er Brownies
10%

Total votes: 20

SoupOrMan

Should I convert my 1911?

Post by SoupOrMan »

I have an STI Trojan in .40 S&W. It's a competition/range-only gun mainly because it misfeeds my reloads regardless of which magazines I use. I can't trust it for self-defense and besides, that's why I have an XD. I'm honestly wondering if it's the caliber since the 1911 seems to work better in other calibers.

9mm is most tempting just due to cost, but is there something better?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Re: Should I convert my 1911?

Post by HTRN »

Anything other than 10 mil, 357 SIG, or 9x25 will require a new slide.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Call STI and see what they say about the malfunctions. They might have helpful ideas/options for converting it too.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

HTRN wrote:Anything other than 10 mil, 357 SIG, or 9x25 will require a new slide.
I wouldn't be able to use it for 9mm with just a barrel & spring swap?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

SoupOrMan wrote:
HTRN wrote:Anything other than 10 mil, 357 SIG, or 9x25 will require a new slide.
I wouldn't be able to use it for 9mm with just a barrel & spring swap?
9mm is a lot smaller than 40. Extractor may or may not grab. Certainly wouldn't be that reliable.

I voted 10mm, though the suggestion of 357 Sig is somewhat interesting.

I don't know what your malfunction/feed issue is, but all the folks I know who shoot .40 out of a 1911 load very long and use 10mm mags.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Thou shalt not muckest with the design of John.
3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

PawPaw wrote:Thou shalt not muckest with the design of John.
3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.
This can be translated as the thing barely working to begin with, and any little change can throw it off. :mrgreen:

But I guess we know who was the 4th vote for .45ACP.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

10mm would be the easiest, but I do have an irrational fondness for the .38 Super.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Netpackrat wrote:
PawPaw wrote:Thou shalt not muckest with the design of John.
This can be translated as the thing barely working to begin with, and any little change can throw it off. :mrgreen:
Either his or mine. :)

Like anything else, you find good ones and bad ones, but with the exception of a Gold Cup that wouldn't feed anything reliably, mine have all worked pretty well. Maybe I just got lucky.

But I do know that I wouldn't trade one of my 1911s for a round dozen of anything else on the market today.

JMHO, YMMV, IRDDU.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Netpackrat wrote:This can be translated as the thing barely working to begin with, and any little change can throw it off. :mrgreen:

I've known guys who keep fixing something until it's hopelessly broken. I've never had a problem with a 1911, assuming that it starts out close to GI specs.

I don't know who the 4th vote was, but I'm of the opinion that the .45 ACP is God's own cartridge, along with the .30-06 and the .22 Long Rifle.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House