Should I convert my 1911?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

If I convert my 1911 what should the new caliber be?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

.38 Super
10%
9mm
5%
10mm
20%
.45ACP
35%
Some really stupid & esoteric caliber that fits
20%
Magic Browning, er Brownies
10%

Total votes: 20

FelixEstrella

Re: Should I convert my 1911?

Post by FelixEstrella »

SoupOrMan wrote:
FelixEstrella wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:What? No .400 Corbon?

Ok, so I guess that leaves me voting for weird and esoteric -- but .400 Corbon is my bucket list (got a nice running Norinco earmarked for the project).
Second that.
Sadly I'd need a new slide for that.
Wait (had to go read the whole thread), you actually have a 1911 in 40S&W? What's the matter with you?
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

It goes with my other firearms in .40.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote:Im not gonna say "See? HTRN is always right!". :ugeek:

Nope, nope, nope.
For some reason, this comes to mind
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

HTRN wrote:Just let me know where to send the bill. :mrgreen:
1060 West Addison, Chicago, Illinois...

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote:
HTRN wrote:Just let me know where to send the bill. :mrgreen:
1060 West Addison, Chicago, Illinois...
C/O Elwood Blues :ugeek:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

SoupOrMan wrote:I wouldn't have expected an extractor to lose tension so quickly after purchasing the gun, as I've been having problems with it for years.
It probably wasn't tensioned right in the first place. Another possibility is its bad and wont hold tension for any length of time.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Well, I'll put in an order for a new extractor, just in case.

rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Good call, HTRN. I was leaning toward mag springs and followers.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

As a long time 10mm fanatic with many variations under my belt and a strong plan once I source a round tuit to make a 10mm XD allow me to state my personal opinion.

You are over sprung. I finally settled after many years on a 20 pound spring for a proper Norma load 10mm in my 3 Deltas. I am thinking you need to try 18 though 19 pound spring. I think as you get further down the mag the mag spring can't push a round in fast enough as your slide cycles. Stronger mag springs are just a band aid.

Just my view, but an easy trial. Or go to 10mm and leave the spring the same. It's a proper caliber after all.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Thankfully 1911 springs are cheap. Re-tensioning the extractor also helped.

Are you still building that 10mm XD? Is that off a 40 or 45 caliber model?