Should I convert my 1911?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

If I convert my 1911 what should the new caliber be?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

.38 Super
10%
9mm
5%
10mm
20%
.45ACP
35%
Some really stupid & esoteric caliber that fits
20%
Magic Browning, er Brownies
10%

Total votes: 20

HTRN

Re: Should I convert my 1911?

Post by HTRN »

My guess is that its off a 45, as most 40 short and week pistols are actually based on 9mm sized frames.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

It's off a .45 XD. I just need to order the barrel and I can mess with it. My time has become very precious so it's just waiting on a round tuit.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Hmm. If I do switch it to 10mm, will I need to change out any of the other springs besides the recoil spring? If it's something that be changed out with just a new barrel, so much the easier.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

SoupOrMan wrote:Well, I'll put in an order for a new extractor, just in case.
Wilson Bulletproof.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Which of Wilson's extractors works for the 10mm/.40? The .45 or the 9mm/.38Super? They don't seem to make a dedicated 10mm/.40 model.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aftecs are probably the best around, very popular with the ipsc crowd, who shoot ridiculous volumes. The down side is the price of them, 85 bucks for an extractor..

And yes, they have 40cal models.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt