Should I convert my 1911?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

If I convert my 1911 what should the new caliber be?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

.38 Super
10%
9mm
5%
10mm
20%
.45ACP
35%
Some really stupid & esoteric caliber that fits
20%
Magic Browning, er Brownies
10%

Total votes: 20

SoupOrMan

Re: Should I convert my 1911?

Post by SoupOrMan »

Netpackrat wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:Ah so, fixated on the 1911 part after all that thread and forgot mention of the 40. 1 round less in the mag for a 400 Corbon vs a 40 Small&Weak wouldn't give me any pause.
But he could have a 10mm for the cost of having the chamber reamed deeper, and maybe a recoil spring swap. Not sure if it would need different magazines. Plus he's already got everything to load for it, since they use the same dies.

Of course, I'm one to talk... After being out of the .40S&W game for 15 years, I just bought a threaded, .40 conversion barrel for my Glock 29. I bought some factory .40 ammo and am hoping to try it out sometime this week. Maybe see if I can drag my brother to the range with me to put his can on it, and also on my Rossi. 8-)
I would need different mags. The ones for .40 S&W have a rib in the back of the magazine for some reason.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote:I would need different mags. The ones for .40 S&W have a rib in the back of the magazine for some reason.
The reason probably being to force you to buy new mags if you were to do a conversion.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:I would need different mags. The ones for .40 S&W have a rib in the back of the magazine for some reason.
The reason probably being to force you to buy new mags if you were to do a conversion.
40 is shorter thus the rib to put the in the correct geometry.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote:
randy wrote:
40 is shorter thus the rib to put the in the correct geometry.
So it depends on whether the rib was added by the engineers or by marketing. ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

As it was Columbus Day and our agency takes that day off, I took my 1911 out to the range after having made a few tweaks.

First, I cleaned all the gunk out of the channel where the extractor resides and second, I added a little more tension to the extractor, following the instructions from one of STI's handy videos on checking extractor strength.

Magazines were left unchanged.

Ammunition choices changed as well, as all were reloaded ammuntion.

I ran the following loads:

180gr Berry's Plated Round Nose, 5.0gr of Universal, Fiocchi Green Primer, mix of Winchester and Blazer brass. COL 1.122". This is left over from my earlier shooting sessions. I have a few boxes left before it's all gone. This got a few failures to feed in the previous session.

180gr Remington FMJ, 6.3gr of Longshot, Fiocchi Green Primer, mix of Winchester, Remington & Blazer brass. COL 1.126". This was as close as I could get to the 165gr Winchester WinClean.

180gr Hornady XTP, 6.6gr of Longshot, Fiocchi Green Primer, mix of Winchester, Remington and Black Hills brass. COL 1.125". This is a potential trail/hog/coyote load I've been playing with for a little while.

I decided to run the test just like the last one, firing two magazines of each as rapidly as possible (about half a second between shots in my case) in an attempt to induce a failure to feed.

Round One:
I loaded up Magazines 2 and 4 with the 180gr Berry's RN load. 2 is one of my "known bad" (noted multiple failures during competitions) magazines, but 4 is okay.

Magazine 2: no defects.
Magazine4: no defects.

What the hell? I got failures to feed with this load and these magazines last time. This isn't normal. Interesting, but not normal. I reloaded Magazines 2 and 4 with 180gr Berry's load again and shot again.

Round One...point five:

Magazine 2: no defects.
Magazine 4: no defects.

This was my Bear-Is-Driving-How-Can-That-Be moment.

Okay, change of plans on the new loads: four magazines of each load as rapidly as possible.

Round 2:
I loaded Magazines 3 and 6 with the 180gr Remington FMJ loads. Magazine 3 is my "known bad" magazine.

Magazine 3: no defects.
Magazine 6: Round 8 fed partially and the slide just sort of stopped like it was locking on an empty magazine. I racked the slide and it fired normally. Failure was similar to Magazine 3 in the last test with the 165gr Winchester WinClean.

Magazine 3, second try: no defects.
Magazine 6, second try: no defects.

Bloody hell. This thing is working, more or less.

Round 3:
I loaded Magazines 5 and 7 with the 180gr Hornady XTP loads. Magazine 5 was the "known bad" magazine.

Magazine 5: no defects.
Magazine 7: no defects.

Magazine 5, second try: no defects.
Magazine 7, second try: no defects.

Well, son of a biscuit barrel, I think it may have been a weak extractor. Putting a little more bend in it and keeping it clean seems to have done the trick.

I am of course going to run some more tests with it before I make any final verdicts. I want to see if I can induce any failures that lock the pistol up like previous sessions. If I can't get any more serious failures, I may be able to trust my 1911 again.

Still tempted to make it a 10mm, though. Very tempted.

A good day at the range where you learn something and no one gets injured or breaks a gun is a very good day indeed.

(Also of note, Dad brought his new Glock 43 out for a test run, as he doesn't like carrying his P232. Neither of us are used to the pistol as it seemed to shoot everywhere but the bullseye for either of us at 5, 7 and 15 yards. We need more practice on running something that small and light.)

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
BDK

Post by BDK »

Post Gen4 launch Glocks also just seem to have crap accuracy. Glocks standard is... 4 or 5" group (can't remember which) at 25 yards, is acceptable - my guess is they loosened up the machinery a bit to stay within that, to make them faster/cheaper - they didn't use to do better than... Maybe 3.5" Can't quite recall, but its now at the point that a normal, factory Glock, will not suffice for USPSA.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

blackeagle603 wrote:What? No .400 Corbon?

Ok, so I guess that leaves me voting for weird and esoteric -- but .400 Corbon is my bucket list (got a nice running Norinco earmarked for the project).
Second that.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

FelixEstrella wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:What? No .400 Corbon?

Ok, so I guess that leaves me voting for weird and esoteric -- but .400 Corbon is my bucket list (got a nice running Norinco earmarked for the project).
Second that.
Sadly I'd need a new slide for that.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Im not gonna say "See? HTRN is always right!". :ugeek:

Nope, nope, nope.

Just let me know where to send the bill. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I wouldn't have expected an extractor to lose tension so quickly after purchasing the gun, as I've been having problems with it for years.