Should I convert my 1911?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

If I convert my 1911 what should the new caliber be?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

.38 Super
10%
9mm
5%
10mm
20%
.45ACP
35%
Some really stupid & esoteric caliber that fits
20%
Magic Browning, er Brownies
10%

Total votes: 20

SoupOrMan

Re: Should I convert my 1911?

Post by SoupOrMan »

The only time it doesn't misfeed is when I run Remington's 155gr JHP. 180 FMJ just doesn't like to feed in it, whether new ammo or reloads. 155 is kind of loud and expensive, though.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
BDK

Post by BDK »

A) Talk to STI but

B: Most competition shooters run 40s "loaded long" as range guns - and AAA makes factory reloads in long loaded 40.

C) 10MM.

Not worth the headache and expense over just buying a new gun for 38Super.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

What brand of mags are you Using? Wilson combat, mechanical gar, mcormock?

It could be the ramp angle is wrong, but considering this is sti, I think that this the least likely option.

Finally, there's the possibility of extractor issues, which is what I would check if your using quality mags. Which means a caliber change isn't gonna do squat to fix the problem. An Aftec extractor is what I would buy before spending money on a barrel.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I want to say they're Checkmates right off the top of my head, but I'll have to look.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Wilson combat or Mccormick, or if you need something else, metal form.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Most USPA shooters I know run Tripp mags. Odds are, they work well for 40 - at least loaded long.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

HTRN wrote:Wilson combat or Mccormick,
+1. I run McCormicks, myself. I got a bunch of them on sale at Brownells several years ago.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

What? No .400 Corbon?

Ok, so I guess that leaves me voting for weird and esoteric -- but .400 Corbon is my bucket list (got a nice running Norinco earmarked for the project).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I voted .45ACP, but barring that, maybe 9mm.
I've only shot 9mm in Glock and Steyer GB, never a 1911, so I don't have any real first hand experience with my recommendation, so I'll defer to anyone with experience.
I've only had FTF with reloads (not mine, commercial ones), never with factory ammo.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

Huh...I was just going through my reloading stuff last week, and discovered that I have RCBS dies for .400 Corbon.

And I have no recollection of ever buying them...