Optics dilemma

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JAG2955

Optics dilemma

Post by JAG2955 »

A few rifle seeds (loose AR parts) sprouted into a rifle due to the Independence Day sales and the like. I feel like I'm at a loss for optics though.

I really wanted a Nightforce 1-4. But as I read about the low power variables in that range, a thought occurred. Do you ever use anything but between 1 and 4x? It doesn't seem like it. So as much as I want one, I'm investigating other options while I save pennies.

In the up-to-$1,500 range, and excluding garbage, is there anything lesser-known that I should look at? I'm realizing that I could probably find an ACOG with RMR on sale in that range.

But suddenly I'm intrigued by other 4x optics, like the Hensoldt/Zeiss ZO 4x30i. I see them for about $900-$1100 here. Members across the pond, have any experience with that one?
HTRN

Re: Optics dilemma

Post by HTRN »

If you want something cheap and decent, why not a Redfield 2-7?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hard to type on my smartphone just now. I really like the Vortex 2-7 offerings. Hard to beat Zeiss,if you have the money. My advice- call cameralandny.com on the phone snd ask Neil or Doug wat they can do to fix you up. Great guys to deal with.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I loves me all things Vortex. I don't have one, but their Razor HD 1-6x24 gets rave reviews. It's under your $1500 price point.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I second the Vortex

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... oa-reticle For $650 MSRP and likely $550 or less street. You could do a lot worse.

I am putting this on my 24" barrel AR when it comes in.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... oa-reticle
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

I like 1-4s, if it's a true 1x. Even 1.1 I find disorienting. I find 4x very beneficial for 200yd targets. You may have better eyesight - most folks do.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've told my Senior Minions, all of whom currently use Leupold M8 scopes, 4X, that if they can't see it in a 4X scope, it's either too far away, or too small, to be shooting at.

Granted, in this crowd, I'm probably a Philistine, but I'm a big fan of fixed power scopes, and preferably nothing over 6X. The one variable-power scope that I use is a 3-9X-40 Leupold, but I can't think of a time, in the field, that I've ever had it past 6X. Usually, I set it at 3X, and forget that it's a variable.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom