Well, that's an odd caliber...

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Cybrludite

Well, that's an odd caliber...

Post by Cybrludite »

20160903_183819.jpg
A buddy of mine has an old Remington Rolling Block in .43 Egyptian. He had loaded up a few rounds and we gave it a try tonight. About every third shot keyholed, and the rear peep sight was useless. The trigger was stiff enough that I thought the safety was on. Fun to shoot despite that.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
HTRN

Re: Well, that's an odd caliber...

Post by HTRN »

You and i have very different definitions of "odd" :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

HTRN wrote:You and i have very different definitions of "odd" :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Something not loaded commercially in 85 years doesn't count as odd?

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Cybrludite wrote:
I suspect HTRN's definition of odd includes calibers requiring machining equipment to reload.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Over the last 15 years I've acquired some of those "odd" calibers--two 71/84 .43 Mausers, a .43 Egyptian Rem Rolling Block, an 1884 Martini in .577-450 and most recently an 1858 Enfield/Snyder Conversion in .577 Snyder. They are all handloader/bullet caster's rifles, yes, but all are fun to shoot and not too costly for brass with the exception of the Martini. 100 new 577-450 boxer cases cost me $550 from Kynoch in Britain several years ago. Dies were $165, I made the shellholder, and the bullet mold was spendy too. The .577 Snyder is ridiculously easy to feed; 24 ga. Cheddite shotshell hulls trimmed to 2-1/2",70 gr.FF black, .58 roundball directly on the powder and a gob of warm beeswax over the ball to hold it in place. I could rent 'em out at the local gunclubs as a full-time job; just about everybody wants to shoot them :lol: :lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Forgot to include a pic of the rifle.

Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Looks like the start of a tactical wheelbarrow..With air conditioning for your shelter-half!! :lol: Nice Remington!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Rustyv wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:
I suspect HTRN's definition of odd includes calibers requiring machining equipment to reload.
More like, "If I don't have to custom order everything, it isn't odd", you know, like chamber reamers, sizing dies, bullet molds, brass, etc. ;)

Speaking of, did I ever tell you about my idea for a .298/375 Steyr on a M48 Mauser action idea? :ugeek: :mrgreen: :twisted:
Old Grafton wrote:Over the last 15 years I've acquired some of those "odd" calibers--two 71/84 .43 Mausers, a .43 Egyptian Rem Rolling Block, an 1884 Martini in .577-450 and most recently an 1858 Enfield/Snyder Conversion in .577 Snyder. They are all handloader/bullet caster's rifles, yes, but all are fun to shoot and not too costly for brass with the exception of the Martini. 100 new 577-450 boxer cases cost me $550 from Kynoch in Britain several years ago. Dies were $165, I made the shellholder, and the bullet mold was spendy too. The .577 Snyder is ridiculously easy to feed; 24 ga. Cheddite shotshell hulls trimmed to 2-1/2",70 gr.FF black, .58 roundball directly on the powder and a gob of warm beeswax over the ball to hold it in place. I could rent 'em out at the local gunclubs as a full-time job; just about everybody wants to shoot them :lol: :lol:
A suggestion for the Sniders, have you considered using Minie ball molds? They originally shot what looks like a minie ball, with a clay plug at the back.

And a good source for the Snider and MH brass is Captech. Both run between 3 and 350 for a hundred cases.

Cheapest source for MH and Snider dies is Lee, but require a larger than normal press mount. Second cheapest is, I believe, CH4d. RCBS is in the stratosphere, at something like 400 bucks.

Your best option for 43 Egyptian brass, short of springing for the right cases, is to make 'em from 348 brass. It's what Buffalo Arms does.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

HTRN wrote: And a good source for the Snider and MH brass is Captech. Both run between 3 and 350 for a hundred cases.
(currently out of stock, but I'll be watching--thanks for the tip!)
HTRN wrote:Cheapest source for MH and Snider dies is Lee, but require a larger than normal press mount. Second cheapest is, I believe, CH4d. RCBS is in the stratosphere, at something like 400 bucks.
(CH4D are the dies I use; 1'-14 TPI thread. RCBS Rock Chucker has a removeable bushing, I just don't remember if the thread in the frame is 1"-14 or if I had to make a custom bushing--several years ago)
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Rustyv wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:
43 is in fact an odd number.