World Muzzle-Loading Championships Report

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Mike OTDP

World Muzzle-Loading Championships Report

Post by Mike OTDP »

Well, I'm back...and finally over a nasty cold I caught on the way home enough to post.

I headed out to the World Championships in Sarlospuzta, Hungary. Flew into Budapest. Interesting city, rather small. Despite the fact that the Warsaw Pact collapsed 26 years ago, Eastern Europe still shows scars. In particular, the level of development was distinctly behind that of Western Europe. Budapest struck me as being a rather small city, not a great metropolis like London, Paris, or Vienna. Here's some photos I took from Buda Castle.

We stayed in Kecksemet, a town about an hour south of Budapest. It was about the size of Lexington Park. Good hotel.

The range itself was at a resort. Here are some photos:

and the resort-to-range shuttle.

Overall, the U.S. Team did OK, not great. I only had one good event, but it was enough to win us a silver in the replica percussion revolver team match. We did have one pistol shooter, Bob Lineaweaver, who set a new world record with the original revolver at 50 meters - which won not only that match but the revolver aggregate. (and people wonder why I put such emphasis on practice at 50 yards) Our shotgunners did OK.

Hungary was a very interesting country. Most of the people I ran into spoke some English. Very nice folks. Good food if you like a meat-and-potatoes diet.

I did get involved in a major rules change...which took up an entire day. There were some rules concerning replica arms that needed major clarification, and I took the initiative to tackle a rewrite. Got elected to the Executive Committee for my trouble.
Frankingun

Re: World Muzzle-Loading Championships Report

Post by Frankingun »

Mike, how do you do the caps, powder and bullets for the foreign competitions? Can you fly with those, or do you get it when you get to Europe?
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Cool vids, Mike, thanks for sharing. :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Frankingun wrote:Mike, how do you do the caps, powder and bullets for the foreign competitions? Can you fly with those, or do you get it when you get to Europe?
We buy there. Expensive, it's about a 50% premium over U.S. prices. It's one reason why we have a funding issue.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Seems all the more reason to try and get this thing hosted here... Just sayin'.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

g-man wrote:Seems all the more reason to try and get this thing hosted here... Just sayin'.
I'm hoping for 2026. 2018 is scheduled for Eisenstadt, Austria. 2021 (50th anniversiary of the world organization) is Pforzheim, Germany. 2022 will be Buenos Aires, Argentina. 2024 is to be determined, but I doubt the Europeans will go for two Worlds outside of Europe back-to-back.

Which leaves 2026, if the USA can get enough resources. We're desperately looking for both new shooters and the funds to support the trips. Every U.S. Team member who went to Hungary this year paid his own airfare, his own lodging, his own meals...and got a bill for the portion of the powder, caps, and match entry fees we weren't able to cover.