Impulse buy-FNS 9

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JAG2955

Impulse buy-FNS 9

Post by JAG2955 »

So I've been eyeing the FNS-9 series. As described by one of my coworkers at the gunshop, it's like you take a Glock, and then do all of the things that guys do/wish they could do to their Glock.

So I ordered one for the shop so I could [strike]fiddle with it[/strike] sell it, and I kind of liked what I felt. We ordered the longslide, which looks better, and has a better sight radius. But I kind of doubted I would carry it much. An ambi 17rd capacity modern polymer pistol has a lot of appeal to me.

So I was traveling, and found a shop that sells to military personnel, including bums like me with a reserve ID. I picked up a regular-size FNS-9 for under $500 OTD.

The Good: Ambi everything. Slide release and magazine release. The versions with the safety also have an ambi safety. Really nice, solid polymer. An enormous magazine well. Really simple reloads. Magazines eject out very positively. I like the sights, despite that they are all green tritium. I wish they would have a yellow rear. But the front sight is outlined in white, and the rear tritium vials are not outlined at all. It's like having a straight black sight while in daylight. It's got a fairly large beavertail, and for some reason, the shape and feel of the gun reminds me of a Browning High Power.

The Bad: Bore axis is a little bit higher than with a Glock. Magazines are expensive (~$40), but feel very durable. Limited sight options. If you have nancy-boy hands, the checkering may be a little rough. For me, it's a feature, not a bug. Holsters may be an issue, but supposedly it'll fit in M&P holsters.

The Ugly: The trigger needs some work. The trigger bar is divided and goes around the mag like a 1911. Unfortunately, FN doesn't polish them, and that's where a lot of the stacking comes from. I can see on mine that the trigger itself rubs on the frame. Just by pushing the trigger to the side prior to a dryfire makes a big improvement. The reset, however, is very crisp. The pistol has a lot of parts from what I can see on the internet. It's not as elegant in its design as a Glock or 1911, but it seems more robust than something like a M9, which likes to shoot squiggly wire-shaped pieces around when aggressively scrubbed with an AP brush.

And since everyone wants to know, what does it give over a Glock?
-No finger grooves
-Aggressive stippling
-Ambi mag release and slide lock/release
-Picatinny rail instead of Glock rail.

Other than that, nothing really. Variety is the spice of life. Can't wait to try to improve the trigger on this guy.
D5CAV

Re: Impulse buy-FNS 9

Post by D5CAV »

Thanks for the review! You saved me $500.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

So you're getting one then, right? :D

Seriously, I'm happy with it. Can't wait to put some rounds through it.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I spent enough time in the us.mil that I think of weapons from the standpoint of total systems, so one-off guns tend to get sold.

If I try a new weapon and really like it, I get 2 or 3 along with associated leather, magazines, spares, etc.

I have multiple Glocks and many multiples of magazines. If you said the FNS9 blows the doors off any Glock, and I read similar reviews in other places, I might consider it.

Pretty much as good as a Glock?

Then I'll stick with the Glock.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe