Shortening a synthetic stock

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Shortening a synthetic stock

Post by First Shirt »

Have a rifle with a Savage Accu-Stock that is just a little too long for it's intended shooter. But cutting it off will get past the molded-in lugs for the recoil pad screws.

Anybody have any advice on shortening a synthetic stock and still being able to keep a recoil pad on it?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Re: Shortening a synthetic stock

Post by Denis »

Odd. I had my hands on a Savage with a synthetic accustock today at a gunshop in Germany.

Do you know if fibreglass resin will bond to whatever the Accustock is made of? If it does, you could make up a machinable/carvable/drillable putty of resin and one of the West system fillers 707, 709 or 710 and fill the cavity with it so you can reattach a buttplate. You might need to ask West for advice about exactly which filler http://www.westsysteminternational.com/ ... em-fillers

Of course, if you do that, the stock will probably have to stay that length forever more, unless you can figure out how to add slices to lengthen it as necessary later. Might just be easier to get a wood or laminate replacement stock from Boyds and sacrifice that intead...? Or call Savage and see if they'll sell a youth-length stock as an accessory.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

To add to what Denis wrote, I would cut it, then tightly fit a piece of foam to act as a "dam". That way you would only have 3/4" or so of epoxy. I would think filling the entire void would cause the rifle to be butt-heavy... unless you use some type of super light weight epoxy.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Denis wrote:Odd. I had my hands on a Savage with a synthetic accustock today at a gunshop in Germany.
Do you know if fibreglass resin will bond to whatever the Accustock is made of? If it does, you could make up a machinable/carvable/drillable putty of resin and one of the West system fillers 707, 709 or 710 and fill the cavity with it so you can reattach a buttplate. You might need to ask West for advice about exactly which filler http://www.westsysteminternational.com/ ... em-fillers
Of course, if you do that, the stock will probably have to stay that length forever more, unless you can figure out how to add slices to lengthen it as necessary later. Might just be easier to get a wood or laminate replacement stock from Boyds and sacrifice that intead...? Or call Savage and see if they'll sell a youth-length stock as an accessory.
I still have a bit of heartburn with Boyds, after my last stock purchase. It wasn't so much the two+ hours of Dremeling to clean up the inletting, it was the forward action screw being almost a full diameter off location, and their "well, it's a custom stock, so you can't send it back." The only thing "custom" was the 12.75" length of pull.

And a factory youth model stock would be perfect, except that it's not an Accu-Stock. That aluminum bedding block is a joy and a wonder!

S'okay! Y'all have given me some ideas, and I think I can unscrew this pooch!!!

"Hold my beer and watch this !!!"
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

rightisright wrote:To add to what Denis wrote, I would cut it, then tightly fit a piece of foam to act as a "dam". That way you would only have 3/4" or so of epoxy. I would think filling the entire void would cause the rifle to be butt-heavy... unless you use some type of super light weight epoxy.
Or you could just make up a thin slurry of resin, and use airs often bbs, to fill it up most of the way, then once that hardens, fill it in with something like devcon, so you can screw the pad on.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Watching, bumping.

I've got an Accustock that about an inch too long. I haven't yet summoned the courage to trim it.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Why not just buy an adjustable youth stock?
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Because the Savage youth stock doesn't have the aluminum bedding block of the regular factory stock.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:Because the Savage youth stock doesn't have the aluminum bedding block of the regular factory stock.
You could glass bed the Savage youth stock and add pillars. I did this to the factory wood stock of my Remington 7mm-08 using the Acraglas Gel kit, plus a couple pieces of tubing, and have been quite happy with the result. I wrapped a thickness or two of electrical tape around the barrel when I did it, so with the tape removed the barrel ended up free floated. From what I have read, the fit you get with glass is superior to that of a stock with a pre-made bedding block.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Hadn't thought of that!!

Thanks!!!
Lindy Cooper Wisdom