BIT: Zig Zags for Black powder catridges

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Jered

BIT: Zig Zags for Black powder catridges

Post by Jered »

I got myself a cap and ball revolver, and I'm looking for a way to make it quicker to reload than measuring every charge of loose powder.

Anyone have any experience using zig-zags or cigarette rolling papers for this?

:lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Re: BIT: Zig Zags for Black powder catridges

Post by Netpackrat »

No, but if you have an 1858 Remington and a spare loaded cylinder, that's supposed to be a fairly fast reload.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

I don't have a spare cylinder yet.

I'm looking for a way to save time measuring the black powder.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I have exactly zero experience with BP revolvers, but it sounds like a good idea. I've seen BP revolver cartridges in museums, etc. Someone in the 19th century thought it was a good idea.

So, Google is your friend. LINKY HERE.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Yeah, but that whole "nitrated paper" thing is a little unsettling. We use nitrocellulose filter papers for some of our water chemistry tests, and it's really amazing how fast those little buggers go up! If they were bigger, they'd be perfect for what you have in mind, but they're only about 1.5 inches in diameter.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

You can make paper cartridges, use the glue to attach a tube to the ball, add powder and fold the end over. Drop the whole thing in the chamber and ram.

Alternately, pre measure powder into little cups or something, and load from there.
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Don't you have a regular powder-flask? With the replica Colt flask with a twenty-grain spout, I can powder all six chambers in just a few seconds, put the balls on and ram just like the old days. Besides, I've heard that those tissue-paper "cartridges" were pretty delicate.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

They were delicate. I'd suggest using pre-measured charges. I like Speer shot capsules for them. Very compact.

Let me walk you through the process. Snap caps. Pour first charge in. Put filler in. Put ball on top. Ram home. Repeat with next chamber. I can load six rounds in under three minutes, it just takes practice.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I want to try it...just to post pictures of zig zags on my facebook page.

:lol:
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

That reminds me, I need to buy a pack of zigzags..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt