BIT: Zig Zags for Black powder catridges

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

Re: BIT: Zig Zags for Black powder catridges

Post by Rich Jordan »

I have a 1851 Navy replica and used a replica powder flask with an (I think) 11 grain spout. Instead of grease I used 'wonder wads' because we were shooting outside in the Nevada desert and I didn't want to deal with liquifying grease. It really didn't take long to reload once you got into the rhythm.

I've also seen stands designed to hold your revolver vertical for loading; set it on your bench or car hood, set the revolver in it and strap it in with a velcro strap, and do all the steps using both hands (you do have to stabilize the revolver while installing the caps and operating the ram but thats it).
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I actually tried this a few times when I still had my 1860 Army. My attempts to make an integrated powder and ball cartridge failed. So what I ended up doing is making little powder packets and then tearing the tops off and pouring the powder in to load. I also kept my grease in one of those big plastic syringes that you use to force feed baby's medicine. I had to cut the tip off to make it work, but one I did it worked really well.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Several years ago, Mrs. O and I went to visit my step-daughter and her then boyfriend. He was in the bathroom when we arrived, and she met us at the door. We got the nickel tour of the apartment, and I noticed a pack of EZ Wider papers on the table. My opinion of him dropped like a stone. No doper worth a shit has to use EZ Widers. It wasn't until a few months ago that I told her about it. She had wondered why I never much liked him. :lol:
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Supposedly great for paper patching bullets for center fire.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
BDK

Post by BDK »

The "G&G" side of me wants to make a notepad out of that... Mainly to screw w people - heck, these days, even elegant cursive borders on code to anyone under 30 - my scrawl is probably the millenial equivalent to the Enigma machine...
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote:Supposedly great for paper patching bullets for center fire.
I use it for feeler gauges to pick up tool length.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

When my friend shot black powder he had these little plastic tubes like medicine vials but smaller, with sort of flip caps.
After 10-12 shots everything stopped while we remeasured everything.

As for bad handwriting, I recall reading that Horace Greeley (the go west young man newspaper publisher) had such awful handwriting back in the days of a good Spencerian hand, that one newspaper reporter used Greeley's letter of termination as a letter of recommendation for a decade.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
toad

Post by toad »

More than a few people have taken calligraphy classes to improve their cursive hand writing, esp. for taking notes in class.

Old timers would put down cigarette papers on a milling machine table before they would mount a precision machine vise on it. The paper would even out the irregularities in the metal and allow a firmer grip with less pressure. They would also use them under Cadillac height gauges and the object they were measuring on metal surface tables.
BDK

Post by BDK »

I started writing very large and slow for a few days -I tend to hand write quite a bit.

And, focused on keeping my hand relaxed and using my shoulder muscles to write.

Seemed to fix it at least enough to be legible