The Panic Buying Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

The Panic Buying Thread

Post by Netpackrat »

Because we've had a thread at one point or another about everything else, here's one where we can post about things we might have bought "just in case" the antis actually succeed this time around.

I wasn't going to buy much, maybe an AK mag or two for good measure, and I still need to pick up a couple Nodak receivers for long-planned builds. But then I remembered that I bought a CZ Scorpion pistol a month or two back, which I promptly filed a Form 1 on to make into an SBR. I hadn't been going to spend any more money on it until after the form gets approved, but I got to thinking about it, and oh shit, I only have the two 20 round magazines that came with it. Some 30 rounders are now on the way from CZ Custom.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JustinR

Re: The Panic Buying Thread

Post by JustinR »

My wife has finally been open to me buying a pistol for her, so we're going to go shooting with some friends and their variety of carry guns to find one she likes, 9mm probably (maybe I can convince her of the VP9 I want, heh), but I'll buy her a 380 if she will carry it.

Other than the 60 rounds of 7.62x39 that sits in the trunk with my SKS, I didn't have any more ammo for that gun or my BIL's SKS, so I've been buying 40 rounds every time I stop at a sporting goods store, along with .22 bricks. I'm going to start adding Pmags to that, or just find a good price and buy a batch online.

I think I'm going to add a Spikes AR pistol for my wife, along with a *cough* stabilizing brace. She doesn't have the upper body strength to hold a rifle up for long periods of time, so this is going to be her PDW once I put a Levang Linear Compensator on it...assuming I don't buy another suppressor.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I don't think that much will happen. It will be tough to spin this guy as a "right-wing" terrorist.

That said, I need to start stocking 7.62 AR Mags, grab 2 more BCGs for my stripped lowers, and more ammo. Ammo, ammo, ammo. I'd also like to get a progressive reloading press. I'm seriously debating getting a case of mags before the election.

IIRC, last time in short supply it was:
1. Stripped lowers
2. BCGs
3. LPKs
4. Magazines
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Unfortunately nothing, because i have almost no disposable income. Damn it.
evan price

Post by evan price »

I'm fortunate, in that I do not ilke ARs so I stocked up on FAL and AK mags long ago. I've got enough shotguns and shells for a siege. I'm content.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Precision

Post by Precision »

Frying bigger fish right now, but I have an AR in 45acp almost paid off at work. Not exactly a panic buy, but something fun and easy for the wife to repel boarders with if her KSG with Aguila mini's doesn't work. :D

I do need to reload some 5.56. I am getting quite close to minimum stocks.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I don't think it qualifies as "panic buying" but I pick up extra magazines (AR, 1911, 10/22, and a couple others) and powder, primers, brass and bullets when I can find a good deal on them. Right now, the only powder I have trouble finding is Reloader-15, which sucks, because it's my go-to powder for the '06s and 7mm-08s.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hmm. This is a bit close to the bone for me, as there is a serious semi-auto ban on the cards over here.

On the "get immediately" list, in order of priority:
A Swiss Sturmgewehr 57 and lots of magazines
A SIG 551 or 556 assault rifle and lot and lots of magazines (I never wanted a poodleshooter, but if they're banning, I'm buying).
An AK47 (same comment as for the poodleshooter)
An FN SCAR (ditto)
An AR-15

On the "get if I still can and I have any money left" list, in no particular order:
Another Uzi and lots of magazines
Another VZ58
A FAL
A CZ Skorpion
A .22 Gatling gun
A Maxim machine gun
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Denis wrote:Hmm. This is a bit close to the bone for me, as there is a serious semi-auto ban on the cards over here.

On the "get immediately" list, in order of priority:
A Swiss Sturmgewehr 57 and lots of magazines
A SIG 551 or 556 assault rifle and lot and lots of magazines (I never wanted a poodleshooter, but if they're banning, I'm buying).
An AK47 (same comment as for the poodleshooter)
An FN SCAR (ditto)
An AR-15

On the "get if I still can and I have any money left" list, in no particular order:
Another Uzi and lots of magazines
Another VZ58
A FAL
A CZ Skorpion
A .22 Gatling gun
A Maxim machine gun
I like your style. If they wind up with a ban in Europe, will they come for your guns, or make you turn them in? Do they have a grandfathers' clause, in other words.

If a new round of panic buying happens here, heck, I'd probably try to sell a few guns and make some money.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Darrell wrote:If a new round of panic buying happens here, heck, I'd probably try to sell a few guns and make some money.
I was thinking that same thing. :mrgreen:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D