The Panic Buying Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Denis

Re: The Panic Buying Thread

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:
Denis wrote:Hmm. This is a bit close to the bone for me, as there is a serious semi-auto ban on the cards over here.

The Minions have asked me to compliment you on your shopping list, and also to ask if a few more bucks into the kitty might help the effort?

(Probably won't be a huge amount, but they (and I) will cough up whatever we can shake loose, if it might help.)
Please tell the Minions that their offer brought a tear to my eye. They might still be little ones, but they have great big hearts! They're very kind, but if they have spare pennies, they should by all means help Precision & Dawn's much more important cause.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:Got some coaches. Need a little help? They work cheap!
If I were nearby, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Are you running a Minion Lend Lease program? :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Darrell wrote: StGw57 is the same as the SIG 510, right? I saw a reddit thread a day or two ago, discussing an image of two Swiss, a young woman and middle aged man, openly carrying a SIG 550 and SIG 510 on the bus or train. It was considered completely normal, no worries, which is a refreshing attitude. One commenter in the thread said that the 510s are available for $300 in Switzerland. Is this true? What can you get one for, Denis?

Here's the thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/ ... wiss_army/
Yes. SIG 510 is the model.

The Swiss Army designations are StGw57 and StGw90. The StGw57 entered service about 1960, about the same time as the M14, which it is roughly equivalent. It is the weapon of us aging boomers and busters. The StGw90 entered service about 1993, so it is the weapon of gen-x and millenials.

By Swiss law, the full auto fire control components are removed from a surplus weapon, and it can be sold at any gun shop as a semi auto. They have been depreciated to scrap metal anyway, so the few hundred SFs they charge is for the labor to modify to semi and packaging,

According to the US BATF "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" ruling, even a machine gun that has been permanently modified with welding to be semi auto is still a machine gun.

That is why the very few PE57s that were imported into the US before Bush 1st's (spit) AW import ban cost so much. They were all new manufactured rifles on semi auto receivers.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Denis wrote:They're very kind, but if they have spare pennies, they should by all means help Precision & Dawn's much more important cause.
Per The Minions: "Will do!"
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

I need to buy a couple of parts for this 9mm AR pistol plan I've had for a few months.
And I'm thinking about getting a few AR lowers for Justin Case.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Weetabix wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Got some coaches. Need a little help? They work cheap!
If I were nearby, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Are you running a Minion Lend Lease program? :D
Sorry, but you'll have to go to them, since they have babysitting duties to keep them close to home. That said, they offered the following advice (don' t know where they would have learned it) "Do it right, or do it over. Makes no difference. But it isn't done, until it's done right."
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm guessing that you and the Minions each know how lucky you are.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Weetabix wrote:I'm guessing that you and the Minions each know how lucky you are.
Don't know about them, but I know how lucky I am, anyway!!!! Between The Boss, who tolerates my foolishness, and The Minions, who encourage it, I hate to think of what happens when I pass from this Mortal Sphere. Not sure how much more paradise I can handle!!!!
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Denis wrote:Hmm. This is a bit close to the bone for me, as there is a serious semi-auto ban on the cards over here.

On the "get immediately" list, in order of priority:
A Swiss Sturmgewehr 57 and lots of magazines
A SIG 551 or 556 assault rifle and lot and lots of magazines (I never wanted a poodleshooter, but if they're banning, I'm buying).
An AK47 (same comment as for the poodleshooter)
An FN SCAR (ditto)
An AR-15

On the "get if I still can and I have any money left" list, in no particular order:
Another Uzi and lots of magazines
Another VZ58
A FAL
A CZ Skorpion
A .22 Gatling gun
A Maxim machine gun
I see they still have that Maxim there eh? I should have bought it along with the 1911.....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Remington rebates are available for some firearms and a lot of their ammunition. For this of you in places where you can still mail order ammo, this may get your cost per round more palatable; if you're in a shithole like cook county it will at least offset the county ammo tax, or make paying retail outside the county more affordable.