How cheap can i build an AR for coyotes

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Fill

How cheap can i build an AR for coyotes

Post by Fill »

mom and step-dad are having coyote problems on the cattle farm, and was talking to step-dad about options...he seemed pretty enamored with the AR15, mostly for low-recoil (bad shoulder) reasons.

Theoretically, how cheap can I build an AR to give him? Just needs to be minute-of-coyote accurate to 250 yds, and he already has optics that he can mount on it. Any other choices I should consider for maximum dead coyote, minimum cost?
D5CAV

Re: How cheap can i build an AR for coyotes

Post by D5CAV »

You would be hard-pressed to build one for less than you could buy one: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... +AS+BLK+30

$600 for a well made AR from a good manufacturer

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-carbine ... drail.html

$430 for kit

plus whatever you pay for receiver - $50 to $100
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

+1 on the S&W Sport. Good gun for the money. It has a 1:9 twist, so heavier pills may not stabilize well. But if he's just going to shoot coyotes, that doesn't matter.

If you are going to build one, the Freedom series from Palmetto State is a good deal. I got this one on sale for $379: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m ... e-kit.html It's a decent shooter... 2 MOA w. mil-surp 55g
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Is the AR a must? Savage Model 12 can be had for about $625 (brand new, may be cheaper used). That'll do the job.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

What do you guys think of this one: Bear Creek Arsenal .223 Wylde? There's one available locally with a handful of spare parts.

ETA: Poking around on Classic Firearms site at C&R guns - how do you have an MSRP on a Mosin 91/30? :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

You can pick up a Savage Axis or Ruger American in .223 for less than 400 dollars. Not as cool and racy as an AR, but would serve the purpose pretty well.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Two biggest complaints about the Axis are the trigger and the cheesy stock. A year or so ago, Savage added the Accutrigger as an option on some Axis models. Well worth the $50-60 upgrade cost.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Weetabix wrote:What do you guys think of this one: Bear Creek Arsenal .223 Wylde? There's one available locally with a handful of spare parts
$500 is a very good price for an ARF clone. What's the local used one selling for? Presumably less than new.

BTW, what is .223 Wylde?

Dimensionally, .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO are identical: https://thearmsguide.com/645/is-there-a ... -and-5-56/

There are some old .223 Rem rifles floating around with "match" chambers that have a shorter throat, so you will probably end up with bullets hitting the lands if you use PRK-legal copper bullets, but I've never heard of anyone having problems shooting .223 Rem ammo in a ARF.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

.223 Wylde is supposed to optimize both cartridges in one chamber. Supposed to make .223 more accurate.

ETA: Rifle, $525 + 600 rds of .223 for $144, hard case, some parts. He wants $675 total. With no shipping or FFL, I'm OK with that. Not a screaming deal, but not bad either. It would let me experience this AR15 that so many fellows go on about. :geek:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D