What should I buy next?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Steamforger

Re: What should I buy next?

Post by Steamforger »

HTRN wrote:
Jered wrote:I would get the Mosin-Nagant first, since they aren't going to do anything but go up in price.
Well ,its not like they can get much cheaper, can they? :lol:
A pic made it to Reddit last week of a rack of $350 M91s from a Cabelas in Oregon. They might not be able to get much cheaper, but some people are more than willing to charge hard for them.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

350 bucks for a Russian club?!

Kerist, you can buy a Stevens 200 new in the box for that kind of money.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Saw an M44 for sale at a local shop for $400 or so a few months back. I don't think it was still there, last time I was in. Perusal of a local classifieds site shows one M44 for $275, several Mosins for $350, and one that a guy is asking $400 for. If I can get $350 for my m44 I will probably sell it, too. I purchased it on a lark several years ago, but then stuck it in the safe and never fired it. It is kind of neat, but I have never been able to muster any enthusiasm for actually taking it to the range.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

$225-$500 seem to be the range on my local Armslist, with $325 being about average for a Russian or Hungarian M44. Maybe its time to let a couple of them go and use the funds for a new handgat.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

This is the order of priority I give my friends:

1. Assault rifle and spare (2 of the same gun, not one AK and one AR)
2. Combat sidearm and spare
3. Deep cover sidearm and spare
4. Battle rifle and spare

If you still have funds left, its a more a matter if you are in close areas or wide fields of fire. My preference:

5. Long rifle and spare
6. PDW (personal defense weapon) and spare
7. Combat shotgun and spare

You've got the PDW covered with the M1 carbines
You've got the battle rifle covered with the Garands
You have one deep cover sidearm with the Bersa - if you are happy with it, get another one.

You need two assault rifles. Pick one and buy two. Depending on your religion, either an AR or an AK. I don't get into religious arguments

You also need two combat sidearms. Pick one and buy two. Glock 9mm or Beretta
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I consider 22s to be consumer commodities
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Steamforger wrote:$225-$500 seem to be the range on my local Armslist, with $325 being about average for a Russian or Hungarian M44. Maybe its time to let a couple of them go and use the funds for a new handgat.
I bought a pile when they were in the $89/M9130 and $150/M44 range. It might be time to cash out. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

All things EBR. Prices are pretty low now. Check PSA, Primary Arms, Buds, etc. for sales. Like someone else mentioned, Andersen lowers are all over the place for under $50. Buy spare parts, too. Remember after Sandy Hook when generic BCGs were going for $300?

www.slickguns.com is a pretty good search tool for sales.

And ammo. 5.56/.223 is back down to pre-Sandy Hook prices.
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Thank you all for the advice. Based on your input, here is what I am thinking I will buy first:

1) AR in 5.56 (Any brands to avoid? For my first AR should I go with 16" or 20" barrel?)
2) Carry handgun in .45 ACP (4" 1911?)
3) 9 mm pistol (AIM Surplus has surplus Hi-Powers for $440. Good deal/choice?)
4) Semi auto .308 rifle (Leaning towards M-14 since it is so close to Garand in operation, but they are on the heavy side)
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

John_in_Longview wrote:Thank you all for the advice. Based on your input, here is what I am thinking I will buy first:

1) AR in 5.56 (Any brands to avoid? For my first AR should I go with 16" or 20" barrel?)
2) Carry handgun in .45 ACP (4" 1911?)
3) 9 mm pistol (AIM Surplus has surplus Hi-Powers for $440. Good deal/choice?)
4) Semi auto .308 rifle (Leaning towards M-14 since it is so close to Garand in operation, but they are on the heavy side)
1. Your best bang/buck is likely a PSA CHF Premium build. I would say 16", especially if you're getting a .308.
2. If you buy a good 1911, you're fine. I'm partial to S&Ws. But I think that you could combine this with #3. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with 9mm over .45, probably. Go to a store and handle Glocks and M&Ps in 9mm and .45ACP. Pick whichever one feels/shoots the best. Cheaper than the Hi-Power in most regards, and higher capacity. Less soul in the plastic fantastics than in blued steel and wood, though.
4. I know that some guys have been building AR-10s, I believe from PSA, for around $600. After my excursions last year with my M1A, I'm no longer as big of a fan. Ergonomics are important, but also personal. I'd take an AR-10 any day over an M1A.