He died getting the shot

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

He died getting the shot

Post by Netpackrat »

...But apparently not the shot he wanted. Details are still sparse, but it looks like some guy ended up downrange trying to get the right camera angle:
ANCHORAGE -
An Anchorage man was shot and killed Saturday while he was trying to photograph others shooting guns, Alaska State Troopers wrote in a dispatch Monday.

Just after 8:30 p.m. Troopers were notified that 30-year-old Adam Malaby had been shot near Jonesville Mine Road in Sutton.

Investigations revealed that Malaby had been attempting to take photos or video of other people shooting guns and stepped in the line of fire. He was struck by a bullet from a .40 caliber pistol.

People at the scene were performing CPR on Malaby when troopers arrived and he was then transported by air to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Malaby's next of kin have been notified and investigations are ongoing.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Re: He died getting the shot

Post by Steamforger »

No rumors of "Big Boy" training the rest of us are just not Oper8tor enough for?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

No idea, but it sounds like just a place people go to shoot on public land, an hour or more out of Anchorage, so probably not. IIRC one of the local training outfits does have an actual range out that way, but I don't think that was it, and I've never heard anything bad about their training.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

A reminder that there is no such thing as "friendly fire".

The after-action will only clarify if this was the result of two dipshits in action, or simpy one.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
g-man

Post by g-man »

The real question is did he actually get a photograph, and how badly does it suck? Dying for a shitty photo is just insult to injury, which should be the standard in these cases.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Seems to me if you're on a hot range (formal or informal) there's an area which, if you're there and you know about the range, you getting shot comes under the heading of "terminal stupidity". If you don't know about the range it comes under "tragic accident". That area of the range is pretty much defined as "in line with the shooters, extending outward to either side for a much longer distance than you might think, and in the direction they're facing".

Going downrange to get a picture is just dumb.

Both ranges I belonged to had a line on the ground, beyond which thou shalt not pass unless the red lights were flashing (showing that the range was open, during which time handling a firearm for ANY reason was cause for ejection from the range). You dropped something in the dirt a foot in front of the line? You wait until the lights are on to retrieve it.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I may easily be wrong but I'm taking a guess the deceased was trying to either get a photo of a line/group of shooters for fun, or for evidence to harass them later.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

There is a big difference between accepting a certain amount of risk to report on a war and standing in front of a bunch of shooters at a range.