Fireclean Goes Full Retard

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Denis

Re: Fireclean Goes Full Retard

Post by Denis »

evan price wrote:Silicone spray has a lot of uses too.
For those who don't know - be careful about using silicone libricants and sprays, cloths, etc. on traditional blued firearms finishes. They don't harm the blue, but if you should ever happen to get a scratch on the gun and want/need to touch it up, the silicone will interfere. The only way to get rid of silicone is to sand or bead-blast down to bare metal and refinish.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

JAG wrote:Although I've told the wife that she should float the idea of having the Really Big Company that she works for package some of their preexisting products for firearms cleaning, lubrication, and protection. She is part of a selected volunteer team that is supposed to brainstorm solutions to certain problems, like what to do if the price of dinosaur goo goes down.
There is nothing wrong with doing that, and several companies have made a decent profit over the years, simply because so many industrial lubricants come in packaging that is unfriendly to consumers. Lee Precision, for example, sells Alox in 4 oz bottles, simply because it's convenient. Other outfits also sell Alox in consumer friendly quantities for bullet lubing. I've used gallons of the stuff over the years making cast bullets, but I've never seen the need to buy Alox in a 55-gallon drum. I did buy a gallon of White Label Alox and it may last me the rest of my life.

Part of the problem in the gun community is simply that most of us don't know what's available. Many enthusiasts don't care to experiment on their own personal firearms, or don't care to read an MSDS sheet. And, yes, in many cases the old standbys are very satisfactory. Even I keep a bottle of Hoppe's #9 on the bench, just because no cleaning bench looks right without Hoppe's on it.
HTRN wrote:Another option is turbine oil.
Hmmmm. Now you've got me pondering.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Netpackrat wrote:MOJO II FTW.
That isn't just fancy can for 7808, is it? For that matter, do civilian aircraft crews even call it 7808?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

7808 is one of the mil specs for turbine oil. An example of an oil that meets MIL-PRF-7808L is BP2389. Mobil Jet Oil II meets the other spec, MIL-PRF-23699F. Oils of the two specs are not compatible with each other.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:7808 is one of the mil specs for turbine oil. An example of an oil that meets MIL-PRF-7808L is BP2389. Mobil Jet Oil II meets the other spec, MIL-PRF-23699F. Oils of the two specs are not compatible with each other.
But does each one make your gun happy, or is one better based on its specific lubricating properties and the environment inside a firearm?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Got it. All we ever dealt with was 7808, and that's if we had to help the engine troops change the oil.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Weetabix wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:7808 is one of the mil specs for turbine oil. An example of an oil that meets MIL-PRF-7808L is BP2389. Mobil Jet Oil II meets the other spec, MIL-PRF-23699F. Oils of the two specs are not compatible with each other.
But does each one make your gun happy, or is one better based on its specific lubricating properties and the environment inside a firearm?
No idea, never tried.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

I've been thinking some Royal Purple synchromesh oil may make sense.

At least, for revolver lock work. Admittedly, folks seem to use almost anything for that.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

PawPaw wrote:ATF is good for cleaning. You can add a little lanolin to it if you'd like, or you can dilute it with acetone. It makes a better penetrating oil than Liquid Wrench. Lubriplate is better, but it's hard to find it in consumer-sized quantities.Generally, Lubriplate is sold in 5 gallon buckets, or 55 gallon drums.

Grant Cunningham has a good article on lubricants. It's worth the read. The simple fact is that there are no "gun oils". The big lubrication firms make oils, greases, and lubricants in large quantities for industrial applications. Think of the amount of oil that just one AutoZone sells each month, and then tell me why any large company would want to make a niche oil that sells by the ounce? It doesn't make sense. All the gun oils we buy are simply re-packaged industrial lubricants, which brings us back to the original thread.
One of the key functions of distribution (all them middlemen I keep hearing we should eliminate) is breaking bulk. It's like I tell my students -- you can get wool socks for a buck or so a pop, if you're willing to take delivery of a shipping container full. Alibaba is good for illustrating the point.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »