Appleseed AAR- update

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Appleseed AAR- update

Post by Weetabix »

I went to my first Appleseed last weekend. I didn't know quite what to expect, but had I had expectations, they would have been exceeded.

There were about 15-20 shooters and 4 instructors the first day, fewer shooters and 3 instructors the second.

Weather was mid 50's and clear the first day. 29 in the morning the second day with snow, up to mid 40's and cloudy. I call that good shooting weather.

The instructors were knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, and very safety conscious. The state coordinator was our Shoot Boss.

Two of their 4 rules were different from the ones I'm used to, but hey made sense on the range. Finger off the trigger until sights on target, don't load until given the load command, keep the muzzle in a safe direction, and watch other people's safety habits and call them out if necessary.

A safe rifle has: mag out, bolt back, safety on, chamber flag in, on the ground, and not being touched. Pretty easy to remember all of it in short order, though.

I already knew most of the shooting points they were teaching (intellectually), but having it explained, repeated, and observed while I was shooting was quite helpful. I hadn't really known how to use the sling in seated and prone before. That was enlightening and helpful. Much practice needed there.

I was shooting a 10/22 with Tech Sights and a GI sling. Forgot my glasses the first day, and brought them the second day. They helped a bit, but I know I need a new prescription. I couldn't really see the smallest targets when my sights were lined up. I want to qualify Rifleman with irons on principle, but I may give that up depending on what I can do with a new prescription.

You need 210 out of 250 on the AQT to score rifleman. I scored 195 on the first and 204 on the second. On the third, I had a malfunction on the third and a neighbor shooting my target so I didn't score that one. Malfunction and tired eyes on the fourth. I considered not scoring it, but I did. 140. Sigh.

I'll be practicing and going to the next one in September. They're not holding one in Houston, MO this year, or I'd go to that one.

I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Do run the ammo you're bringing through your rifle before you go. I knew that but hadn't done that. I was getting a lot of trouble out of one box the first day, and I switched to another brand for the AQT's. It worked better, though I still had a few malfunctions.

I should have cleaned the rifle after the first day, but I didn't have time that night due to other obligations.
Last edited by Weetabix on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Re: Appleseed AAR

Post by Aesop »

Any range day where you're both safe, and have fun is a good day.
Hitting the bullseye often is the residue of a lot of good days.

And before you go back, do some "snapping in" on your living room floor or whatever: practice getting into position. Put a small version of the AQT up on the far wall.
Get on target without muscling the weapon. How do you know? Get on target; close your eyes; relax; re-open your eyes; see where you're pointing.
If you're not dead-on, move your body in whatever position, not the muzzle and sights. When you're there without trying to pull to correct, you're on the target.
Believe me, it makes a difference.

Cleaning is your choice, and with a 10/22 not usually a daily necessity, but some words on getting ready from no less than West Point Cadet Sgt. Major George S. Patton Jr. (USMA 1909): "If you had time to sleep the night before, you damn sure had time to get ready for the next day." ;)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aesop wrote:Any range day where you're both safe, and have fun is a good day.
Hitting the bullseye often is the residue of a lot of good days.

And before you go back, do some "snapping in" on your living room floor or whatever: practice getting into position. Put a small version of the AQT up on the far wall.
Get on target without muscling the weapon. How do you know? Get on target; close your eyes; relax; re-open your eyes; see where you're pointing.
If you're not dead-on, move your body in whatever position, not the muzzle and sights. When you're there without trying to pull to correct, you're on the target.
Believe me, it makes a difference.
That's the plan.
Cleaning is your choice, and with a 10/22 not usually a daily necessity, but some words on getting ready from no less than West Point Cadet Sgt. Major George S. Patton Jr. (USMA 1909): "If you had time to sleep the night before, you damn sure had time to get ready for the next day." ;)
OK. How about, I didn't have the energy and the will power. ;)
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

They throw a lot at you and it is a FULL day on the range, so taking time to clean the rifle ends up pretty low on the priority list at the end of the first day.

It is a good program and appears to still be on track. I recommend it.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

How many rounds did you fire? I'm thinking of going to one with the wife.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

As I recall, plan on 325+ up to and including 500 rounds for the weekend. If you are shooting centerfire, it is a significant cost.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I took two boxes of 500, but I don't think I got through a full box. 250-300, maybe? They recommend you bring 500 rounds.

You can shoot rimfire. In retrospect, I'm probably glad I did, both for expense and so I wouldn't have to worry about flinching being a factor.

In the sign up, it said .22 only, but the range had decided a few days earlier to allow centerfire. A couple of guys had AR's, but I don't think there was any 30 caliber there.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Frankingun wrote:How many rounds did you fire? I'm thinking of going to one with the wife.
You should definitely do it. I had a great time. I'd meant to do it for years, but I hadn't gotten around to it. I'm glad I did, and I'll definitely go again. I wish I'd gone earlier.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Taking Slowpoke Jr to one in Sept. Trying to decide if i should let him use the 10/22 or the american rimfire. I need to order some slings and maybe tech sights. I have the 10/22 aniversary edition thats setup for appleseed :D.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I've been practicing NPOA and playing with sling settings to see just where I best "relax into the sling." I've also been testing ammo in my gun to see what it likes.

Winchester white box - not so much
Federal Automatch - not so much
Geco (optimized for bolt rifles) - pretty much likes it, but it won't cycle the action
Winchester Super X - kind of likes it

CCI Standard Velocity - seems to love it. No failures and decent groups.

I put a Weaver Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope 2.5-7x 28mm Dual-X Reticle Matte on it. I was looking at a Leupold VX-1, but the Weaver was on sale and had good reviews, so I could afford some binoculars as well. Which I also like.

Anyway, I was testing ammo and adjusting the scope sighting with the Winchester white and the Federal Automatch. No great groups. At the very end of the day, I put one mag of the CCI through it.

I shot this one on a wobbly bench, but using the sling, working on NPOA and trying to watch my follow through and using "rifleman's cadence". I got the same kind of results the next day. I think I've found my ammo and my scope. Now I just have to keep tuning up the me part of it.

The day after I shot this group, I took an AQT target out and shot it, using the times as best I could. I was counting the time in my head on stage 2 and stage 3. I think my time was OK. Shot a 216. Now, to keep practicing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.