Thoughts on 22 handguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JKosprey

Re: Thoughts on 22 handguns

Post by JKosprey »

Weetabix wrote:So, JKO, given your research to date, what are you thinking about?

Dream gun?

Gun you think would adequately serve your needs, but you'd need some time to get it?

Reasonable enough and achievable shortly?
Gotcha. In that case....
Dream gun: S&W 617. I already have a 686 that I'm rather fond of. A .22 on a similar frame would be very useful to me. I think it would probably be a little large for my intended purchase in this case though.

Adequate and achievable: Sounds like a used S&W 22a/Buckmark/Ruger MK would all fit the bill. Interested in the SA revolvers as well, but I've never handled or shot one. I'm kind of leaning towards the autos though. I like the idea of a red-dot for this application. Precision could be important.

Reasonable and shortly achievable: I'll have to hit up a couple local shops and see what they actually have in stock. I've been lusting after a glock for a little while and have pretty much ignored the .22's every time I've been browsing.
Greg

Post by Greg »

JKosprey wrote:
Weetabix wrote:So, JKO, given your research to date, what are you thinking about?

Dream gun?

Gun you think would adequately serve your needs, but you'd need some time to get it?

Reasonable enough and achievable shortly?
Gotcha. In that case....
Dream gun: S&W 617. I already have a 686 that I'm rather fond of. A .22 on a similar frame would be very useful to me. I think it would probably be a little large for my intended purchase in this case though.
They make a great combo, but the trigger on the 617 is much heavier. It's as close as I come to a gripe about it.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Greg wrote:They make a great combo, but the trigger on the 617 is much heavier. It's as close as I come to a gripe about it.
Buddy of mine has one. I didn't notice a significant difference in his. Could be some occasionally lax QC I suppose.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oh goodness gracious, I just accidentally discovered Smith is producing a 3" all-stainless J-frame, the Model 63. Looks a lot like the 3" aluminum Model 317 Kit Gun, just weighs 26oz vs 12.5oz

Oh and it seems Ruger is now offering the GP100 in .22lr
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

JKosprey wrote:
Greg wrote:They make a great combo, but the trigger on the 617 is much heavier. It's as close as I come to a gripe about it.
Buddy of mine has one. I didn't notice a significant difference in his. Could be some occasionally lax QC I suppose.
It's smooth, just a heavier pull on the 617. Assumed it was deliberate, due to requirements for rimfire ignition.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Greg wrote:Oh goodness gracious, I just accidentally discovered Smith is producing a 3" all-stainless J-frame, the Model 63. Looks a lot like the 3" aluminum Model 317 Kit Gun, just weighs 26oz vs 12.5oz

That IS the kit gun. They've been making it for a long time, blued and stainless.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

I like the idea of a red-dot for this application. Precision could be important.
Have you considered a Ruger Charger pistol? Either the full pistol or the takedown model? A pistol version of the Ruger 10/22. Comes with a hard case, bipod, and optics rail already mounted. Because of the weight, there is almost no recoil making easy follow up shots. MSRP of either type is under $500. Accuracy is outstanding under 50 yards.

Gunblast video review and pictures

Ruger Website

This one is for sale on Gunbroker right now. Apparently unfired. Auction price starting at $300. Link

Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:
Greg wrote:Oh goodness gracious, I just accidentally discovered Smith is producing a 3" all-stainless J-frame, the Model 63. Looks a lot like the 3" aluminum Model 317 Kit Gun, just weighs 26oz vs 12.5oz

That IS the kit gun. They've been making it for a long time, blued and stainless.
Except for when they stopped making it.

What they've called the 'kit gun' has changed. Used to be a steel j-frame. Then in recent times for a number of years, they stopped making a steel j-frame .22 and only offered an aluminum j-frame .22 which they called (call, now, look at their web site) the 'kit gun'.

The 'new' steel j-frame .22 that is currently in production they call only Model 63. At this time, Smith reserves the 'kit gun' nomenclature for the aluminum j-frame .22 that is also known as the Model 317.

Personally, I'd be inclined to call any j-frame .22 a kit gun, but take it up with Smith.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The current bunch of assholes that own S&W can call it whatever they want. To everyone else, a J framed .22 will always be the kit gun, regardless of what material they make the frame out of..
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:The current bunch of assholes that own S&W can call it whatever they want. To everyone else, a J framed .22 will always be the kit gun, regardless of what material they make the frame out of..
Sign me up. ;)