Thoughts on 22 handguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JKosprey

Re: Thoughts on 22 handguns

Post by JKosprey »

JAG2955 wrote:And can I do your job some days? I was always jealous of guys who got to chase the deer off the runways.
The work can be fun. I enjoy it most of the time....but it pays shit.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I'm not sure that I've ever even handled a buckmark, but it seems like there's a lot of fans here. I'll have to see if I can find one to fingerprint.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Ruger Single-Six if wheelgun, either a Ruger Mark 1/2/3 or Browning Buckmark if semi-auto.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Seems like a good job for a S&W Kit Gun (whatever number they give to the j-frame .22 revolver). IIRC there was one with .22lr/.22WMR cylinders too.

That said, I LOVE my S&W 617 (K-frame .22).

Didn't Ruger make a .22 version of the SP101 too?
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Maybe make friends with a local MOD that sells used guns? Explain what you do and what you're looking for and have them call you whenever something comes available to try.

Also, are there any ranges that rent guns near you? You might be able to find a few to try out to see what you like best.

And I like my Mark II. I also have a Single Six, but it's 22 mag only, so I haven't shot it in quite a while, so I can't comment much.

I think Walther P22's are not too expensive, and they're small. Don't know how reliable they are, though.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Both the Ruger Standard (or Mark II, or Mark II or whatever they're calling it now) and the Buckmark are great little handguns. Rugged to a fault, accurate as all get-out, and lots of fun to shoot.

Likewise the several revolvers. It's hard to go wrong with a .22 handgun, so pick your heart's desire.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Greg

Post by Greg »

MarkD wrote:Seems like a good job for a S&W Kit Gun (whatever number they give to the j-frame .22 revolver). IIRC there was one with .22lr/.22WMR cylinders too.

That said, I LOVE my S&W 617 (K-frame .22).

Didn't Ruger make a .22 version of the SP101 too?
I've wanted a Kit Gun for a while. I understand you need to be careful with the aluminum cylinders, though.

I also have a 617 and love it. It's expensive, and might be a bit heavy for carrying around all day.

I've seen .22lr SP101's, but I don't think they're currently in production. They're both nifty and relatively rare which would mean relatively pricey.

Buckmark and Ruger Standard (whatever Mark, I/II/III) are kind of can't go wrong choices. I'd also be curious about the Ruger SR22 semi.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Smith and Wesson has a new Victory model 22 pistol out. Go look at 22 plinksters review of it. Its msrp at about 400. Its kinda a cross between a ruger and a buckmark, with a highstandard style barrel attachment.

I really like my gsg1911-22, they go for about 250, but i could see the look of a 1911 being problematic for your uses. Still it makes finding holsters trivially easy, and mine is very accurate.

Hickok45 was impressed with the heritage rough rider, and you should be able to get it with the 22mag cylinder and lr cylinder for around 250. Not nearly as nice as the single six, but similar and still plenty good.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Weetabix wrote:I think Walther P22's are not too expensive, and they're small. Don't know how reliable they are, though.
I have a Walther. I like it, but initially, at least, it had a strong preference for 40 gr. bullets. (I think now that it is shot-in a bit, it is less picky.) The lighter bullets did not generate enough energy to cycle the slide reliably. It has a couple of interchangeable grip pieces to fit your hand.

The little Ruger is a takeoff on the Walther and looks good. Check it out too.

Slowpoke mentioned the heritage rough rider. Don't even go there, it is not worth the time or effort.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Oh, one other thing about a revolver, you can use the little mouse-fart CB caps/CB longs, they make about as much noise as snapping your finger. They make even less in a rifle, literally all you hear is the firing pin strike.