Thoughts on 22 handguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JKosprey

Thoughts on 22 handguns

Post by JKosprey »

Thinking about a .22 handgun of some kind. I've held off, because I really can't afford to shoot much right now as is, and .22 ammo is still hard to find/more expensive than it used to be. However, I could use one at work.

Right now I'm working as a wildlife biologist for a private company. I do a variety of things but my main project is wildlife control at a landfill. Think Orkin man writ large. In any case, it involves lethal control on the daily. My current choices are a pretty underpowered .177 beeman for small birds and a Rem 870 12 gauge for the big birds. I also do mammal control (usually trapping) as needed. Sometimes the animals are still alive in the trap, and the air rifle does OK for dispatching them, but occasionally I run into other issues. I had the need to dispatch a skunk today. It was wandering around in broad daylight attempting to den under a foundation of sorts. I don't suspect rabies; we're coming into breeding season and they're coming out of winter torpor. Either way, the client wanted it gone. From my choices, I picked the 870, and it worked out OK, but it's loud, and it's overkill. In order to keep the clients pleased I try to keep a low profile and limit the mess. In this case, there was no issue- minimal scent leakage, and not as much blood as I expected from a 15ft ranged headshot, but that won't work every time. There's no room in the truck for another long-gun. So, I think a handgun might be in order.

I'm looking to spend 500 or less, which might be a tall order. That rules out the wonderful S&W 622 (Which I want, badly, but really, I may not even be able to afford the 500 I specified). Double action, single action, or semi....doesn't really matter to me. Concealability is not a major factor, since it's not a "carry gun", but it needs to be cover-able since, for the moment, I'm still in NY. No open carry unless actively hunting. I'm thinking Ruger is a good place to start.
First Shirt

Re: Thoughts on 22 handguns

Post by First Shirt »

Sounds like the perfect job for a Ruger Single-Six, especially if you can find one with the .22 Mag cylinder.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Concur on the Ruger. Great little gun.
randy

Post by randy »

No arguments on the Ruger, but if wheel guns ain't your thing, I've seen Browning Buckmarks at local dealers for well under $500 several time over the past year or so.

As an example, see this site.

I really like mine*

(well, mine until Darlin' Daughter turns 21 and I no longer have federal law on my side in keeping it in my possession :D )
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

How about the Mark II or III? Plenty of them should be in your price range.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
BDK

Post by BDK »

+3 for a single six. Perhaps a well-loved large frame 38 special of some decent make. Those can be reasonable at times, and W a cowboy load they shouldn't be too loud, and would be quite effective - and cheaper/easier to find than 22 Mag, I think.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

What about a .17HMR revolver like a Taurus? It would give you quite a bit more range and a flatter trajectory...
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I'm partial to the Buckmark, and you can find them cheap.

And can I do your job some days? I was always jealous of guys who got to chase the deer off the runways.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hard to go wrong with a Browning Buck Mark and a couple of cartons of CCI ammunition. Its Colt-brand forebears (Woodsman / Huntsman) were designed specifically for the kind of uses you are describing - maybe those can still be found cheap, since they're old. You'll find they are a bit lighter and handier for outdoor carry than the modern Buck Mark. The FN/Browning equivalents (Nomad / Challenger) are also excellent, accurate pistols, but probably not so common on your side of the big pond. Don't neglect the Ruger Mark I or Mark II pistols, which are great guns, if you like the grip angle. If you don't, look at the Ruger 22/45 model.

On the other hand, a revolver is a really simple tool for outdoor work, and less picky about ammunition than pistols, though finding a grip to suit you is more important than with a pistol. You'll generally get a slightly longer barrel in a revolver than in a pistol of the same overall length, which is an advantage.

On the gripping hand, I would suggest touring your local MoDs and pawnshops, and seeing if you can't find a quality used piece, whether a revolver or pistol, that fits your hand and won't break the bank.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I love my Buckmark.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop