So...where are the "2011" pistols?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JustinR

So...where are the "2011" pistols?

Post by JustinR »

Ok, so this is in reference to an article about Colt's new but uninspiring 1911's, from TheFirearmBlog.

In an age of polymer framed, hi-cap, grip-adjustable, Glock and HK reliability out-of-the-box pistols, why aren't more companies offering updates to old slabsides? I mean, c'mon Colt you're only a few decades behind market demand here. Yea, yea, history and tradition, I get it. Here's what I want to see in a 1911 offering:

factory threaded barrel
slide cutout for mounting red dot optics
bobtail frame
interchangeable grip panels for different LPI checkering/stippling patterns
frame rail
9mm/40mm single and double stack options

Why aren't any of the 1911 manufactures trying to keep up with their polymer brethren in terms of available features and ergonomics? I'm sure I could have the above list for $3K+, but who can realistically afford that?. Some manufacturers have some of these features in various guns, but not together. Am I missing something here, or do I just need to keep pursuing my idea of opening a custom 1911 shop?
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
evan price

Re: So...where are the "2011" pistols?

Post by evan price »

'coz nobody really cares.
You're either a 1911 person or you're not. If you are, there's plenty of offerings already.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
BDK

Post by BDK »

Have you ever looked at STI's double stacks? They're even called 2011s...
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

BDK wrote:Have you ever looked at STI's double stacks? They're even called 2011s...
Yep I have, they have the closest guns to what I've been looking for, hence I stole their "2011" moniker. :)
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

JustinR

Post by JustinR »

evan price wrote:'coz nobody really cares.
You're either a 1911 person or you're not. If you are, there's plenty of offerings already.
So one is relegated to the dustbin of history by not being able to use a rail mounted light with your bobtailed carry gun? That seems like a hole in the market to me.

First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

So what would one of these gee-whiz pistols do that my current 1911s don't do? I'm not gonna put a red-dot sight, or a flashlight on it, I already have a bob-tailed carry gun, and a double-stack would be harder to carry concealed. Besides, I've got 8+1, in the gun, a spare 8-round mag with me, and another 8-rounder in the truck. That's 25 rounds, and if that ain't enough, I'd better check my invitation, I may have gone to the wrong party.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Greg

Post by Greg »

First Shirt wrote:So what would one of these gee-whiz pistols do that my current 1911s don't do? I'm not gonna put a red-dot sight, or a flashlight on it, I already have a bob-tailed carry gun, and a double-stack would be harder to carry concealed. Besides, I've got 8+1, in the gun, a spare 8-round mag with me, and another 8-rounder in the truck. That's 25 rounds, and if that ain't enough, I'd better check my invitation, I may have gone to the wrong party.
See?

Anyone who wants a polymer, high-cap, adjustable grip, etc etc, knows where to find it. And the actual design whose name inspired the thread title is right over there.

Suspect evan nailed it- the target market for 1911's and the target market for the newer gee-whiz features don't seem to overlap much.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

So wanting a 1911 with modern features is crazy-talk huh? Well so be it I suppose.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The thing is, the whole threaded barrel, slide cut for holosight thing has long been the realm of high end custom.andsemicustom 1911 builders due to the fact that until relatively recently, the only people who wanted said features were serious deep pocketed gamers involved in ipsc unlimited. None of the mass market 1911 builders were going to bother, as they were never going to be able to make something competitive in their usual price bracket.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

If you want a modern plastic space gun why not just buy something designed from the ground up as a modern plastic space gun.