So...where are the "2011" pistols?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Jericho941

Re: So...where are the "2011" pistols?

Post by Jericho941 »

Kommander wrote:If you want a modern plastic space gun why not just buy something designed from the ground up as a modern plastic space gun.
Some people like the idea of 1911s more than they actually like 1911s. They just don't realize it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The modern plastic guns ARE the evolution of JMB's design that you are looking for. :mrgreen:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

JustinR wrote:So wanting a 1911 with modern features is crazy-talk huh? Well so be it I suppose.
Not really, it's just that the features that YOU want in a 1911 are not the features that the majority of 1911 buyers are looking for, so there's no incentive to build one.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Jericho941 wrote:Some people like the idea of 1911s more than they actually like 1911s. They just don't realize it.
That's me. I enjoy shooting my 1911 and the ergonomics of it work for me. But it's heavy, uncomfortable to carry, and doesn't do anything particularly better than any other handgun. It's a great gun, but it's not the be-all-end-all holy grail firearm.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The thing is, I've tried the modern plastic space guns, and they fit me like socks fit a rooster. I've been shooting a 1911 since I was 8 years old, starting with my Grandpa's 1911 that he "borrowed" from the Army in 1919. Don't know if the gun fits me, or I've just grown to fit the gun, but it works for me. I can hit with it, I can keep it running, and while it's not exactly comfortable to carry, it's comforting. Which is way more important, to me.

If you like the Glocks/HKs/Sigs/whatever, rock on with your bad self. And if you can find someone who builds a "modern" 1911, with all the space gun features, buy one. Hell, buy two or three! But I don't think I'll be adding to the maker's bottom line.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

1911s already have "adjustable grips":

You have an almost infinite variety of grip panels you can install, from smooth wood to those nasty super aggressive VZ grips.
You can change out the mainspring housing for flat or arched per your preference.

Even the latest generation of plastic fantastic pistols are not as adjustable as a 1911. Every one I have tried is still long in the grip compared to a 1911, even with the flatest/thinnest of their grip inserts.

And of course with most of them, you are still stuck with whatever grip treatment is on the side.

Also 1911s allow you to simply drip in a short medium or long trigger assembly to adjust the trigger reach. Since the trigger doesn't actually affect the trigger pull (unless it's binding in the channel), it doesn't even need much talent to install one.

As for frame material, every time someone has made a polymer framed 1911, it's ended up heavier than an aluminum framed one. So the idea that plastic makes for a lighter carry gun is simply false. Steel framed guns can be heavy, but aluminum and poly are generally the same. For example, an aluminum framed Commander sized 1911 (fully loaded) weighs within one ounce of a fully loaded Glock 19.

What I'd really like to see in a 1911:

9mm with offset stagger instead of true double stack so it will fit in a standard frame. Kings style Ambi safety. Ambi slide lock. Commander size alloy frame with a bobtail, flared grip safety instead of those nasty sharp "memory bump" styles that are in vogue these days. Dovetail sights.

That would be the perfect carry gun for someone who wanted to shoot 9mm instead of .45.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Also it's trivially easy to get a rail on a 1911.

I know it's "the in thing" but as far as I am concerned a rail just makes finding a holster harder. Since I'm not kicking in doors in Faluja, I have zero use for a flashlight on a handgun.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Plastic makes for a lighter carry gun IF the gun was originally designed to be made of plastic. There are allot of issues that have to be dealt with when converting a gun that was designed to use one material to be made in another. The current issues with plastic/3D printed AR lowers are a good example of this.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Get a Glock 21 if you want a plastic double stack .45.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Greg

Post by Greg »

NVGdude wrote:Also it's trivially easy to get a rail on a 1911.

I know it's "the in thing" but as far as I am concerned a rail just makes finding a holster harder. Since I'm not kicking in doors in Faluja, I have zero use for a flashlight on a handgun.
Personally, I see a light on a handgun as only being even remotely desirable or useful on a nightstand gun.

And mine doesn't have one. (I do have a separate light.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr