M1 Carbine cutaway model

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
gandalf23

M1 Carbine cutaway model

Post by gandalf23 »

So today I wandered into a local army surplus store that was closing down. And they had a price tag on the army surplus M1 carbine cutaway training model that has been hanging from the ceiling since forever. And the price was not too bad, so I bought it.

But, once they got it down (after the sale) it turns out that the stock is busted and missing a chunk, and the barrel band is missing. I'm pretty sure I can read some of Candyman's posts and figure out how to fix the stock :) And I think that'd be a fun winter project.

But where do I find a barrel band?

It looks like the metal parts are aluminium, and they are 2x normal size. I have not found much on these online, but according to this site, http://www.billricca.com/trainers_2x.htm, they originally came with spare parts, so maybe someone somewhere out there has an extra barrel band they'd sell me? Anyone have any ideas where to look for such a thing?

the lighting is not great in there, sorry about the blurriness of the pics.
John_in_Longview

Re: M1 Carbine cutaway model

Post by John_in_Longview »

The US Carbine club doesn't have a forum yet, but you could try posting your question on the M1 Carbine section of the Civilian Marksmanship Program's forum.
JAG2955

Re: M1 Carbine cutaway model

Post by JAG2955 »

Very cool. I have a weird feeling of deja vu about this post. Did we talk about a cutaway some other time?

I'd try the Gunboards forum, or maybe SurplusRifle. Maybe Sarco Inc has some parts lying around.